• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have You Ever Seen A 9.8 Book With A Detached Cover?

23 posts in this topic

ugh that sucks. Is it possible it happened during transit? How does the shipping box look? Looks like it may have been dropped and landed on the right side of slab. Just a guess.

The box it came in is in great shape and there was a second slab in the same box that looks absolutely fine.

I have a 9.8 Wytches #1 NYCC and the cover near the are of the staples looks like your pics. It obviously wasn't like that prior to being graded or it wouldn't have graded 9.8... this damage happens during the encapsulation process I think and it sucks, because if I were to crack it to add sigs, it wouldn't grade 9.8 again, that's for sure.

I have a 9.8 Wytches #1 NYCC and the cover near the are of the staples looks like your pics. It obviously wasn't like that prior to being graded or it wouldn't have graded 9.8... this damage happens during the encapsulation process I think and it sucks, because if I were to crack it to add sigs, it wouldn't grade 9.8 again, that's for sure.

Far more likely it happened during shipping. Friction could have caused the cover to stick to the inner well - if the slab was banged around, the interior would have slid, causing the cover separation.

Far more likely it happened during shipping. Friction could have caused the cover to stick to the inner well - if the slab was banged around, the interior would have slid, causing the cover separation.

+1 Looks like shaken comic syndrome

Yup.

Mike! :hi:

Very true, however, I've received submissions directly from CGC on separate occasions where I've noticed this kind of damage on only one book in the box, while the other books in the box do not display the same issue.

Very true, however, I've received submissions directly from CGC on separate occasions where I've noticed this kind of damage on only one book in the box, while the other books in the box do not display the same issue.

There's nothing happening during the encapsulation process that could cause this kind of damage, though - not to mention that if there was some sort of freak slabbing accident that caused this, the person manning the sonic sealer would have to be blind to miss it.

Remember the slab that was posted a while back where the side seam of the inner well went straight across the book? Now that was an encapsulation error :tonofbricks:

I guarantee you this is from shipping - I received a book from ebay last year that had the same kind of damage :thumbsup:

How could it get jarred enough to detach but not crack the slab? That seems difficult doesn't it?

never underestimate USPS or UPS ability to damage something in transit.

That or the books thickness or paper quality may have played a part. This one may have been thick enough for the well to hold it firmly in place while the other may have shifted the entire book.

Do you think book thickness played a role?

+3

-slym

There's nothing happening during the encapsulation process that could cause this kind of damage, though - not to mention that if there was some sort of freak slabbing accident that caused this, the person manning the sonic sealer would have to be blind to miss it.

Remember the slab that was posted a while back where the side seam of the inner well went straight across the book? Now that was an encapsulation error :tonofbricks:

I guarantee you this is from shipping - I received a book from ebay last year that had the same kind of damage :thumbsup:

(thumbs u

Few people truly acknowledge the physical forces at play in shipping. If they did, they wouldn't pack so tily. Still, in cases like these, I don't think any amount of packaging would have prevented cover separation within the slab.

Few people truly acknowledge the physical forces at play in shipping. If they did, they wouldn't pack so tily. Still, in cases like these, I don't think any amount of packaging would have prevented cover separation within the slab.

I have some experience with accelerometers. Most look something like this . If the shipping company exceeded the spec and there was damage, they had to pay for it.

Here's some interesting data on flips, shock and temperature:

Which Shipping Company Is Kindest to Your Packages?

Ah6ID1j.jpg

My guess is that the above data is "normal" and that much greater shocks occur from time to time.

This is interesting, and confirms a suspicion I've always had...

One disheartening result was that our package received more abuse when marked "Fragile" or "This Side Up." The carriers flipped the package more, and it registered above-average acceleration spikes during trips for which we requested careful treatment.

SCS-spine cover separation from dropping.

Yup. The very first book I bought on the boards, a Harbinger 1, 9.6, had exactly the same transit damage. The USPS box had taken quite a hard knock on the corner, and not the fault of the seller. It's a book known to have a very fragile cover.