• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ordering direct from E Gerber

55 posts in this topic

I've ordered directly from them, but it was a long time ago (probably 10 years or so). Don't really remember the details other than I thought it was pretty expensive due to shipping.

Hot Flips is easier and faster. And cheaper.

I don't care if someone is "surly" as long as they are competent and professional.
You need to call and experience it. You'll fax the next time :lol:

I've always called and spoken with them on the phone. (shrug)

As for pricing, I don't understand those who are saying Hot Flips is cheaper. Hot Flips is great, but when I've priced their E. Gerber products against buying direct, it's always been cheaper from E. Gerber, even including the shipping charges, particularly in bulk.

Hands down cheaper for me on the west coast. But I do order in bulk - 1000 M2s, 1000FBs.

Hot Flips is great, but they are still a middleman in price chain.

In spite of that being true, Hot Flips has better prices on smaller bulk orders i.e a case of M2's and a case of full backs runs me about $125, shipped.

HOTFLIPS !!!

All the way. Fair prices, free shipping on any order over $50., fast service. I recently placed an order that was delivered within a week to my door. Can't recommend them enough.

AND they are board members and travel to most Cons in the country.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Whenever I call I either:

A) get immediately put on hold by a surly receptionist

B) leave a voicemail that is not returned

C) nobody answers

Am I having bad luck, or is this place in shambles?

You must be incredibly unlucky.

I've ordered many times from them with no problem at all; just as recently as two weeks ago.

As for pricing, I don't understand those who are saying Hot Flips is cheaper. Hot Flips is great, but when I've priced their E. Gerber products against buying direct, it's always been cheaper from E. Gerber, even including the shipping charges, particularly in bulk.

Hands down cheaper for me on the west coast. But I do order in bulk - 1000 M2s, 1000FBs.

In spite of that being true, Hot Flips has better prices on smaller bulk orders i.e a case of M2's and a case of full backs runs me about $125, shipped.

When you say "case", how many of each? Hot Flips lists on their website the case size for M2s as 1,000, which would be 20 packs, which on their site lists for $290 just for the M2s.

Again,

I wanted 4x 725m2 and 2x 700hb,

Egerber priced it at $54+16 shipping,

Hot flips priced it at $94 shipped. Not even close.

just to get 200 bags/ 200 boards.

yeah that was my experience as well. Gerber was always the cheapest for the archives i buy.

I've ordered from Gerber a few times. It's definitely an old school way of doing business. But I've always gotten the product relatively quickly once I made contact.

I really like that they'll cut custom sized backing boards if you want them. I always have them cut down the 7 1/2" boards to 7 1/8" so books don't slide around in the 7 1/4" mylites. For me, that's worth the extra complications of ordering from them.

how much more is the cutting?

Egerber priced it at $54+16shipping, hot flips priced it at $94 shipped. Not even close.

My problem with the 700hb boards is I think they might be too small for a 725 bag. Maybe a 7-1/8th board instead?

Who else should I check for prices?

It's not any extra for the cutting. They charged me the price of the 7.5" boards.

I've had good luck with 7 1/8" boards with the 7 1/4" mylites. It might be a little snug with square-bound books but for most books, I think it's a great combination. The books don't slide around like they do with the 7" boards.

When you say "case", how many of each? Hot Flips lists on their website the case size for M2s as 1,000, which would be 20 packs, which on their site lists for $290 just for the M2s.

I get a $180 shipped direct from E Gerber for 1K 775s - :shrug:

Maybe he banana082.gif

I've ordered from Gerber a few times. It's definitely an old school way of doing business. But I've always gotten the product relatively quickly once I made contact.

I really like that they'll cut custom sized backing boards if you want them. I always have them cut down the 7 1/2" boards to 7 1/8" so books don't slide around in the 7 1/4" mylites. For me, that's worth the extra complications of ordering from them.

how much more is the cutting?

Egerber priced it at $54+16shipping, hot flips priced it at $94 shipped. Not even close.

My problem with the 700hb boards is I think they might be too small for a 725 bag. Maybe a 7-1/8th board instead?

Who else should I check for prices?

It's not any extra for the cutting. They charged me the price of the 7.5" boards.

I've had good luck with 7 1/8" boards with the 7 1/4" mylites. It might be a little snug with square-bound books but for most books, I think it's a great combination. The books don't slide around like they do with the 7" boards.

That sounds perfect I will have to go that route. Do you have any pics with a silver and bronze age book in them to share?