• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

People clamoring for a TimBurton are probably not familiar with any of his recent work.

I really didn't mind Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children or Big Eyes. Bought Sweeney Todd last Friday even (haven't watched it ever.)

I'm just a HUGE Sleepy Hollow fan and that considered one of his lesser works.

Now it becomes more clear why the Matt Reeves deal has such tension associated with it.

Warner Bros. is wanting to lock him down on multiple movies past 2020.

Still, he is not The Batman director yet, and therefore he didn't 'drop' anything yet. And has been noted, it is CAA and Warner Bros. playing hardball negotiations.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Warner Bros. is wanting to lock him down on multiple movies past 2020.

And I'm sure the contract makes him committed to them but them not committed to him.  :makepoint:  Like handing someone a pre-nup on the first date that makes the marriage open but only for one side.  :fear:

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

And I'm sure the contract makes him committed to them but them not committed to him.  :makepoint:  Like handing someone a pre-nup on the first date that makes the marriage open but only for one side.  :fear:

If someone is going to be locked in for that long, they most probably want greater control of the franchise development. Good on Reeves if that is the heated sticking point right now.

I wonder what type of arrangement Nolan had with Warner. He was even able to demand certain people never even visit the set when producing Man of Steel.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder what type of arrangement Nolan had with Warner.

The kind that let him do pretty much whatever he wanted.  After "Begins" they knew they were lucky to have him.

Edited by fantastic_four

Agreed.

Given that Nolan was able to produce (really good) films between his Batman chapters, I don't understand this reasoning with Reeves.

What other directors have been locked into (effective) NDAs while doing a film series?

Maybe Peter Jackson with LOTR? Even that doesn't seem likely since I thought it was Jackson's passion project to begin with, thus his choice.

27 minutes ago, Gatsby771 said:

Agreed.

Given that Nolan was able to produce (really good) films between his Batman chapters, I don't understand this reasoning with Reeves.

What other directors have been locked into (effective) NDAs while doing a film series?

Maybe Peter Jackson with LOTR? Even that doesn't seem likely since I thought it was Jackson's passion project to begin with, thus his choice.

Jackson was all about LOTR.  He spearheaded the movies, and advocated for them for many years before New Line agreed to fund them. Multiple studios had turned him down previously. Plus, all three were filmed at the same time over something like a 270 day shooting schedule. He never had a break between films.

Very different from how WB is filming or proposing to film the DCEU.

Dang! Some folks are going to hate this news.

Matt Reeves Returns: Director Confirmed For The Batman

Today, Warner Bros. has reported that Reeves will, in fact, helm the upcoming Ben Affleck film. The press release from WB noted that  he would direct and produce the film. This is Reeves' statement:

“I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on the Caped Crusader to the big screen,” said Reeves

Reeves' latest film War For The Planet Of The Apes is hitting theaters this summer. The director previously helmed the films Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Let Me In, and Cloverfield.

So where Christopher Nolan was producer and director on 'The Dark Knight' after directing but not producing 'Batman Begins', this looks like Warner Bros. had to turn over the power to Matt Reeves right out of the gate.

:banana:

Matt Reeves did a terrific (and thankless) job remaking the absolute flawless modern classic "Let The Right One In."

He handled the story's dark spots with so much respect for the original, it didn't once feel like it came from Hollywood.

I cannot wait to see what he does with Batman.

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

Looks like Reeves won the battle with the studio. My :wishluck: that he turns out more like Nolan than Snyder.

This is great news regardless. Hopefully it is a sign that WB is going to get more serious with its handling of the DC Cinematic Universe.

With the Nightwing announcement we will hopefully finally see the extended Bat-Family role out on the big screen as well. Batgirl should be a lock to appear sooner than later, and I would love to see Red Hood appear in a film that combines the Death in the Family and Under the Hood storylines.