• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Golden Age comic!

33 posts in this topic

Hope this is the right section.

Been eyeing this one for awhile now at one of the local shops here in San Antonio. Needless to say, 90 bucks later it finsll came home with me.

Based on the notes written on the back I figured that it was a fair and honest price.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

Boy did they see YOU coming, bwahahaha!

Actually an excellent pick up to start your collection with.

I would probably grade that book as Poor/0.5,

According to the OSPG, the book would grade as a 1.0/fair, in that a missing BC is allowed.

Except the front cover is also detached.

True.

The back is gone and front cover detached. It seemed a "1.0" was fair. I guess it depends who you a. lol

Worth restoring or just keep as is? I just love these

bright old comic covers!

Regardless...thanks for the kind words you guys!

Batman 28 was one of my first GA books as well. It was in pretty ratty shape, and Jay Maybruck of Sparkle City gave it to me for free at a Creation convention in Philly in the late seventies. I loved the book, and it has one of the best Joker splash pages. So your first Golden Age book is great, and I hope to see some more of your books in the future.

Been eyeing this one for awhile now at one of the local shops here in San Antonio. Needless to say, 90 bucks later it finsll came home with me.

Based on the notes written on the back I figured that it was a fair and honest price.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

According to the OSPG, the book would grade as a 1.0/fair, in that a missing BC is allowed.

1.0 FAIR (FR): A copy in this grade shows heavy wear. Some collectors consider this the lowest collectible grade because comic books in lesser condition are usually incomplete and/or brittle. Comics in this grade are usually soiled, faded, ragged and possibly unattractive. Cover may be detached, and inks have lost all reflectivity. Creases, tears and/or folds are prevalent. Corners are commonly rounded or absent. Soiling and staining is present. Books in this condition generally have all pages and most of the covers, although there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover , but not both

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

1.0 FAIR (FR): A copy in this grade shows heavy wear. Some collectors consider this the lowest collectible grade because comic books in lesser condition are usually incomplete and/or brittle. Comics in this grade are usually soiled, faded, ragged and possibly unattractive. Cover may be detached, and inks have lost all reflectivity. Creases, tears and/or folds are prevalent. Corners are commonly rounded or absent. Soiling and staining is present. Books in this condition generally have all pages and most of the covers, although there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover , but not both

I see that quote, but if you look at the front cover, quite a bit of it has been chipped away at the top edge and along the spine. Regardless of whether a 1.0 can have the back cover missing, this example is clearly a 0.5 due to the combination of the back cover being missing and the condition of the front cover.

Seems like a fair price for what is essentially a reading copy though it would've been nice to pay about 50-60 bucks for it but if you're happy with it that's all that matters, my friend.

My first GA book was a Superboy 1 from 1949. Kept it for many years until I learned that there were people who restore books.

I read in the OSPG that Bill Sarill of the Restoration Lab would restore a book. Gave him a call and he told me he would be at the SDCC and for me to bring the book to him. Well, I couldn't make the Con that year but he would be willing to come to my home in Tarzana, CA and restore the book there. He brought a trunkload of supplies and chemicals and during his "house call" restored the book right in front of me, a friend, and my mom (I was living at home.)

I believed he charged me $75.00 an hour and it took him an hour and a half.

I still have the book with me to this day. It looks like a beautiful copy wheras before the restoration it was in poor to fair. I think this was around 1977 or 1978.

Since then I've had Susan Cicconi restore two of my books; she took over for Sarill after he retired or moved on to restoring documents for the Library of Congress.

BTW, Susan is a wonderful person and an expert at what she does. And just for the record so is Bill Sarill. =

PS--That Fall I began my teaching career, saved my money because my mom and dad let me stay at home for a nominal monthly fee so I could buy a Condo which I did in the 1980s. Just retired in 2009 after 32 years on America's teaching force. A noble profession and one that gave me summers off so I could see the world and go to my comic cons.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

I see that quote, but if you look at the front cover, quite a bit of it has been chipped away at the top edge and along the spine. Regardless of whether a 1.0 can have the back cover missing, this example is clearly a 0.5 due to the combination of the back cover being missing and the condition of the front cover.

I guess the lynchpin here is whether or not the FC has a quarter of it missing by virtue of the chips.

I didn't that it did. Your observation is apparently different. In light of this, I guess it's a toss-up as to whether the book is a .5 or a 1.0.

Really boys, the guy comes on all beaming about his first GA purchase and all you hosers can do is tell him how beat it is. I'm sure he can figure it out himself.

Way to go Voodoo! You can always upgrade down the road. A GA Bat in any condition is a pleasure to own!

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

I guess the lynchpin here is whether or not the FC has a quarter of it missing by virtue of the chips.

I didn't that it did. Your observation is apparently different. In light of this, I guess it's a toss-up as to whether the book is a .5 or a 1.0.

Not at all. Overstreet doesn't say that if a book has a missing back cover, it's automatically a 1.0 unless it's also missing 1/4 of the front cover. Nowhere does it the guide say anything like that. Defects are cumulative. The front cover has multiple defects—chipping along two edges and multiple tears. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would call the book a 1.0. Let's be clear: I'm not hammering that point in order to denigrate the book; rather, I want to ensure that this new collector gets an accurate idea of how most collectors grade books in that range. (For better or worse, CGC is eclipsing Overstreet as the grading authority, and I'm not sure they'd allow a missing back cover on a 1.0 book period.)

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

Key wording is the word or. In this case the book has ( potentially )1/4 of the front cover missing and the front cover is detached from the book and is missing the back cover. It isn't one or the other, the way it is worded it isn't all of them. At least that is my interpretation of the OSPG wording. (shrug)

Interesting discussion.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

Key wording is the word or. In this case the book has ( potentially )1/4 of the front cover missing and the front cover is detached from the book and is missing the back cover. It isn't one or the other, the way it is worded it isn't all of them. At least that is my interpretation of the OSPG wording. (shrug)

Interesting discussion.

Indeed it is.

The detached cover is allowed.

The BC may be missing, OR up to a quarter of the FC. I personally didn't think that much of the FC was missing, ergo the missing BC was the primary extent of cover loss. IF that much of the FC is missing, however, then it would fall into the Poor category.

Wish I had a scanner!

Opinions?

Interesting discussion.

Indeed it is.

The detached cover is allowed.

The BC may be missing, OR up to a quarter of the FC. I personally didn't think that much of the FC was missing, ergo the missing BC was the primary extent of cover loss. IF that much of the FC is missing, however, then it would fall into the Poor category.

The way I interpret Overstreet is that the max amount of the cover that can be missing is either a full back cover or 1/4 of the front cover. It doesn't say that the back cover can be missing along with 1/8 of the front cover or even 1/16 of the front cover. With the enitre back cover missing, I would expect the front cover to be complete in order for the book to earn a 1.0 grade. Even if the front cover were complete, there are other defects that could kick the book down from FAIR to POOR. For instance, a complete front cover with numerous tears, coffee stains, scribbling, etc. would do it. Numerous split wraps would do it. Multiple coupons cut out would do it (and so on).