• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Rebirth, June 2016

4 posts in this topic

Didn't see a thread on this, so figured I'd get one started. From what I'm seeing, this is not just a reboot to get a bunch of #1's into the market. DC realizes that New52 didn't click well, and that many readers didn't care for the changes. This looks like an effort to correct this and return to a starting point in time. What are your thoughts one this?

:popcorn:

I wish they would get more back-to-basics and build a strong foundation for a universe on the backs of their foundational characters. Instead, I see 2 Lanternverse books, neither of which is titled "Green Lantern". A Superwoman book. A sons-of Supes and Bats book. Is fandom clamoring for these titles?

Do I see multiple "Titans" books? Can you please build one great "Titans" book first, and then spinoff a second one if sales warrant it?

Also, if you look at the release dates, where is the cutoff? I see books being rebooted while other books are still running. Is this a universe-wide event? Why doesn't everything stop on weekA and continue anew on weekB?

The Rebirth trade-dress is AWFUL

This is a company that has access to the greatest creative talent on the planet, and their editorial talent is not even on the level of the Malibu Ultraverse.

Also, the house-style looks about 20 years old and completely out-of-date.

I can't see Jim and Dan surviving this fiasco.

I wish they would get more back-to-basics and build a strong foundation for a universe on the backs of their foundational characters. Instead, I see 2 Lanternverse books, neither of which is titled "Green Lantern". A Superwoman book. A sons-of Supes and Bats book. Is fandom clamoring for these titles?

Do I see multiple "Titans" books? Can you please build one great "Titans" book first, and then spinoff a second one if sales warrant it?

Also, if you look at the release dates, where is the cutoff? I see books being rebooted while other books are still running. Is this a universe-wide event? Why doesn't everything stop on weekA and continue anew on weekB?

The Rebirth trade-dress is AWFUL

This is a company that has access to the greatest creative talent on the planet, and their editorial talent is not even on the level of the Malibu Ultraverse.

Also, the house-style looks about 20 years old and completely out-of-date.

I can't see Jim and Dan surviving this fiasco.

I agree with you completely.

They really should start from scratch and do this right. They can keep publishing the new 52, but slowly phase it out for this new universe. But give this universe time to breath by starting with 1 title, then adding another and another when it is appropriate.

A rocket, from the planet Krypton, lands in a corn field. When Clark is 8, Batman begins his career fighting crime in Gotham. Steve Trevor has his first run in with Amazon's right about the time Clark dons the cape for the first time. Superman is feared by the public at first. A few years later, Abin Sur crashes and gives Hal Jordan a ring. A young Barry Allen is struck by lighting a few years later. Arthur Curry is washed off the deck of a ship, is saved and learns of his Atlantis heritage.

Unfortunately, such an approach would require patience and planning. Keep the best of the heroes and add new elements to make it interesting to old readers. Steve Trevor is in the military and fought in the Middle East. On a return trip to Europe aboard a military craft, they crash and run into the Amazons. Batman's mom survives the encounter with the criminal that killed her husband and sends Bruce away in his early years to go to boarding school. Isolated, Bruce begins to develop a dark personality to deal with his father's passing. Hal Jordan is a successful Nascar racer or an astronaut for the civilian space agency. Barry Allen is a lawyer because of events that happened to his family as a kid. Arthur Curry works on a fishing vessel.

I'm not saying everyone has to have a career change, but definitely update these stories to be relevant today. Have a roadmap and don't just slam a bunch of titles on the comic readers at once.

I am not panicking at this point. I like Johns work and it seems like he is running the show from all ends. Bringing back continuity will please the "more experienced" readers and the new titles will be a jumping off point for new readers. The only thing I am interested to see are the twice monthly titles and the pacing/length in those stories.

I am anxious to see what Rebirth 1 is actually all about before I start over-thinking it. At current I have preordered every title I can but Green Arrow.