• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Determining FMV of raw books over 9.2 (not for submission form)

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Firstly, my apologies if this has been discussed before. I did a search and found a couple of threads that I didn't want to resurrect, as they were very old and pertained mostly to what to declare as FMV on the CGC submission form.

I basically want to know the best way to determine FMV for raw books I'm interested in purchasing. Ideally, I'm hoping there would be some type of equation such as XX% of GPA in same grade, or OSPG 9.2 x X = raw 9.8, but I'm sure it's not that simple. I guess that would be making the assumptions that a) whoever graded that raw a 9.8 was dead on, and b) there was no disparity between OSPG and actual sales prices.

Is the whole reason that raw books don't command what slabbed books do because of the uncertainty of the grade?

Am I best off just searching recent sales of the same book in the same estimated grade?

Sorry for the novel, but thanks in advance

There is no set formula.

For me the issue is whether I can track them down myself or not. If i can't, and I trust the grading of the person I am buying from, I often pay a healthy premium for 9.6-9.8 raws.

I am normally looking for moderns when I do it. Sometimes Coppers. Any older than that and it breaks down because the values are too high.

I have offered $10-20 a piece (raw) many times for 9.6-9.8 books that were basically going for cover or a little more on Ebay. You are purely paying for a trustworthy, accurate high-grade book.

There is no set formula.

For me the issue is whether I can track them down myself or not. If i can't, and I trust the grading of the person I am buying from, I often pay a healthy premium for 9.6-9.8 raws.

I am normally looking for moderns when I do it. Sometimes Coppers. Any older than that and it breaks down because the values are too high.

I have offered $10-20 a piece (raw) many times for 9.6-9.8 books that were basically going for cover or a little more on Ebay. You are purely paying for a trustworthy, accurate high-grade book.

translation = I like to paint Greggy's toenails

At that point - FMV of RAW ( pricing the 9.8) is VERY difficulty to determine -

you can use GPA as kind of a guide - if there are enough books moving at a 9.8 you can then figure out your own strategy for value based on what you perceive as the 9.8 guarantee.

Overstreet - is really all over the place for FMV.

Loads of common books - never sell for overstreet. Loads of keys sell for over.

Golden age without a lot of real data - can be all over the place. Obviously not a lot of 9.8 golden out there (unless you are an ebay grader) - but an example of scarcity driving difficulty in FMV.

Your best bet for this - may be ebay or other auction sites. Assume the best copies are selling for the highest $$$ - do a search for SOLD books - sort by price. Always look at the auction and pics to make your own determination of the potential for a 9.8.

"Is the whole reason that raw books don't command what slabbed books do because of the uncertainty of the grade? "

Not always - but generally yes - especially with moderns. Especially on ebay - can also be someone calling a book 9.8 when it really is not.

Can also be related to the sales venue - so this ebay listed as 9.6/9.8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-573-NM-9-6-9-8-ANTI-VENOM-NEW-WAYS-TO-DIE-ZOMBIE-VARIANT-/322073838673?hash=item4afd18c451:g:Z88AAOSwv~xXDq4v

Now - I may be seeing things that are not there on the covers - but I really doubt that this would make a CGC 9.6.

front cover -

2 spine tics color breaking ( if I were grading - this is already a 9.6)

scuffing by the issue number along spine

scuffing lower cover along edge

back cover - upper right scuffing, lower edge scuffing

Now - this exact auction also has very poor color tone when compared to other auctions of the same books - no idea if that is intentional or not, but the scuffing looks real.

translation = I like to paint Greggy's clip Roy's toenails

Fixed

It's actually branget. Are you such a n00b that you know greggy has no moderns?

I get all the Canadians mixed up