• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aliens, Monsters and Madmen

14 posts in this topic

Aliens, Monsters, and Madmen: The Art of EC Comics

This exhibit opens May 14 at the JSMA at the University of Oregon. I was part of a small invitation only group who got to see some of the amazing original art for this show. There isn't quite anything like being able observe a Frazetta original up close.

I don't want to spoil the exhibit so I'm only going to share a few of the pictures I took today.

161861.jpg.e6af4fd43c406974fc34bd56a2ec9ffb.jpg

Our host and presenter for the afternoon was noted comics scholar Professor Ben Saunders, who is the curator for the upcoming exhibit. Ben's knowledge on EC is amazing and he's the head of the only comics and cartooning minor offered by a university in the United States.

161866.jpg.8e637e86003ee08b50eb50a708f2c3a4.jpg

There were a lot of other incredible pieces and this show is going to be stellar. Capped off the afternoon having lunch with Ben, Matt Brundage, Mike Allred, Bob Schreck, and others.

Okay, one more picture.

161872.jpg.cf53239b2433cb173af248c2d500a722.jpg

:o That sounds like a fantastic event!

The Faster Than A Speeding Bullet display back in 2009 was simply awesome. the cover to GSXM 1, some Frank Miller pieces, Kirby, Ditko...it was over the top.

The EC exhibit is going to have great original art, some great lectures, and other events. The JSMA museum is going to go all out again on this exhibit. I'll be attending opening night and will get a preview of the show prior to it opening, so photos galore after the show opens.

Photos are great, but nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to seeing these pieces in person.

You're very lucky.

It would've been amazing to see all of that.

A pity I'm in the UK. :(

Just a reminder that this exhibit opens this weekend!

OPENING RECEPTION ALIENS, MONSTERS, AND MADMEN: THE ART OF EC COMICS

Fri, 05/13/2016 - 6:00pm to 10:00pm

Join us for the opening of Aliens, Monsters, and Madmen: The Art of EC Comics, an exhibition that celebrates the achievements of the most artistically and politically adventurous American comic-book company of the twentieth century: Bill Gaines’s Entertaining Comics, better known to fans all over the world as EC. Featuring DJ Andy Austin and the release of the latest edition of University of Oregon’s Art Ducko Magazine. Galleries close at 9 p.m.