• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to promote comics? Can comics be branded?

22 posts in this topic

I work in advertising and design, and as such I've been racking my head over how comics can be better branded, or promoted to attract new and more readers. But, it's complicated...

I think that most people are attracted by the art and stay for the stories. But people also have their favourite characters or titles, which are all part of shared Universe… sold to them by their favourite store.

In other words… the individual characters have their own brand, the publishers have their own brand, the retail outlets have their own brand and even the creators have their own brand.

If people buy Nike because they want to “Just Do It" or drink Coke because they want to “Taste the Feeling”… where does the value proposition lie for comics? Do comics even have a value proposition? If not, are they a commodity and its all driven by price? There must be a solution... no?

It's all about distribution at this point. The brands are strong, and people recognize them, but the comics aren't where the people are. Comic book stores can be an intimidating place for the uninitiated, so put comics back in grocery stores and book stores. If people are allowed to flip through them, they'll find things they like.

It's all about distribution at this point. The brands are strong, and people recognize them, but the comics aren't where the people are. Comic book stores can be an intimidating place for the uninitiated, so put comics back in grocery stores and book stores. If people are allowed to flip through them, they'll find things they like.

A friend of mine also said the same thing... So you both think if comics were more accessible it could hook more readers? Many of us discovered comics at the corner store on spinner racks so I don't see why this couldn't help. Not sure if it would hurt the comic store... but if we're talking new readers, it should help the in the long run.

Sounds like a great idea to me... More exposure would definitely help.

definitely can't have a slogan for comic book reading.

"Just read them" lol

not sure how you could advertise upcoming comic books in a modern, fresh and exciting way

I was thinking more of an overall strategy. A slogan or positioning statement can be a part of that but it's not going to reel in new readers by itself. Most new comics cater to an existing, aging audience. Marvel and DC seem lost in figuring out how to attract new readers. The only arsenal they seem to have are reboots and gimmicks like 3D covers. Even Hollywood movies have had very little impact on attracting new readers. I beginning to think that comics, magazines and newspapers are old world media and there's not much we can do about change. Perhaps these things are destined to be niche... like vinyl records.

Decoupage shoes. The only way. I'll let you worry about it

Hi Meta. One liners and memes... I know you're deeper than this.

This reference was not made for you ;)

Comic books are just books. If the story is good then word of mouth will spread and more people will read a particular book. Comics have the added bonus of having already established characters with a following. If anything, comics should be doing better than they are based on their individual brand recognition. But so much of the content is garbage that it keeps the industry from soaring.

There should be FCBD at grammar schools

Hook them in at an early age

I've always thought they should do this. I realize that FCBD is designed to both bring in new readers and support brick and mortar stores, but getting these books into the hands of elementary school children at their actual schools would be a big step for the industry to hook new readers at a young age. It would expose more children to them than just relying on parents to bring them to a store. Brick and mortar stores could still stamp the books with their information or sponser the giveaway.

An excellent idea. Like Apple, beverages, cosmetics and fashion... Marvel and DC should have been sowing the seeds while catering to their existing, aging audience.

Have they missed the boat on this approach? I don't think so. They could start now but I don't think they have the patience to wait for the new crop to grow.

I've always thought they should do this. I realize that FCBD is designed to both bring in new readers and support brick and mortar stores, but getting these books into the hands of elementary school children at their actual schools would be a big step for the industry to hook new readers at a young age. It would expose more children to them than just relying on parents to bring them to a store. Brick and mortar stores could still stamp the books with their information or sponser the giveaway.

I know of one store that gives away their cheapie comics to kids who get an A on their report card. One free comic for every A that they receive.

Do elementary schools still have book fairs? Scholastic Books? If so, the publishers really ought to strike up agreements with Scholastic about having their wares added to the Book Fair offerings.

Do elementary schools still have book fairs? Scholastic Books? If so, the publishers really ought to strike up agreements with Scholastic about having their wares added to the Book Fair offerings.

My kids discovered titles like Bone, Amulet and the Babysitters Club through their school book fair. Unfortunately, no Marvel or DC material.

My kids discovered titles like Bone, Amulet and the Babysitters Club through their school book fair. Unfortunately, no Marvel or DC material.

The story lines in most Marvel and DC books are geared towards children any longer are they?

Another big issue with current comics is the deconstruction/decompression way of writing. You can't go buy an issue and get a complete story. Most stories need a minimum of three months, and sometime multiple titles before they get a full payoff. To get younger kids they need to be able to pick up one book and get a full story. You need a patient kid and a parent willing to pay, to run out every month looking for the next issue. This of course is in direct opposition to established readers who usually want the more complex or involved stories.

The solution would seem to be go back to how the Golden Age printed comics. Cheaper 52 page or longer issues, where anyone can pick up a comic and get a complete story. I am not talking graphic novel format here. I am talking a low quality stock, cheap, reprint. So bookstores, etc are not carrying monthly issues but quarterly low cost reprints.

Comics are also expensive for what you get. Lets face it. $3 to $4 for 15 minutes of entertainment is very high. So these cheap reprints need to be around $3.