• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top-Notch 22 first published Archie appearance?
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, Point Five said:

Detective Comics #15 has an Action #1 ad too. Here it is in my copy -- still waiting to retire off this. :wishluck::whatev: 

tec15pg.jpg.53242a2d0d11e2344d54804f99fba893.jpg

According to the GCD...

Detective 15 has an "On-Sale Date" of 4-10-'38

More Fun 31 has an "On-Sale date of 4-5-'38

New Adventure 26 doesn't have an "On-Sale Date" listed in the info, but later issues usually came out a week after More Fun.

So.... I believe More Fun 31 might be the actual 1st appearance of Supes.

I'm just speculating of course... I'm sure a boardie with way more knowledge than me will know more.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, gadzukes said:

According to the GCD...

Detective 15 has an "On-Sale Date" of 4-10-'38

More Fun 31 has an "On-Sale date of 4-5-'38

New Adventure 26 doesn't have an "On-Sale Date" listed in the info, but later issues usually came out a week after More Fun.

So.... I believe More Fun 31 might be the actual 1st appearance of Supes.

I'm just speculating of course... I'm sure a boardie with way more knowledge than me will know more.

I believe you are correct. It has been posted in the past on the boards that More Fun 31 was the first of the books that you mentioned to have been on sale.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:54 PM, ChillMan said:

This is the first appearance of Archie.  Call it the first printed image of Archie if that makes you feel better...Pep 22 can still be the first story.  But this should be 10X more valuable than Pep 22.  Seriously.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, szav said:

Were there any similar preview ads in any books for the upcoming fresh and new Aquaman and/or Green Arrow prior to More Fun #73?  That's where the real money is at.  Seriously.

I am just so glad that I peruse these boards here as there is just so much hidden knowledge and information here that allows you to get the inside scoop before it becomes common knowledge.  :applause:

If it wasn't for you guys here, I never would have had the foresight to trade off my about to become worthless copy of 'Tec 27 (I so wish :wink:) last night to some know nothing Johnny come lately fool who gave me his copy of Action 12 in return.  Clearly he didn't get the word that Action 12 had the first appearance of The Batman and was out on the newsstand a whole week prior to 'Tec 27 hitting the streets, and as such, is clearly destined to rise to the top of the charts on Overstreet's Top 100.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

Although I have some of the books discussed in this thread, I don't agree with the hype over a "first appearance" in an ad.  While it's an interesting anecdote from a historical standpoint, I don't think it should have a significant impact on the value of a book, and it certainly shouldn't make a book more valuable than the book in which the character formally debuts.

I recognize, of course, that my opinion is contradicted by the prices we are now seeing on some of these books with "first appearance" ads.  It will be interesting to see if these prices hold up over time in our CGC cover-centric world.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:50 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Although I have some of the books discussed in this thread, I don't agree with the hype over a "first appearance" in an ad.  While it's an interesting anecdote from a historical standpoint, I don't think it should have a significant impact on the value of a book, and it certainly shouldn't make a book more valuable than the book in which the character formally debuts.

I recognize, of course, that my opinion is contradicted by the prices we are now seeing on some of these books with "first appearance" ads.  It will be interesting to see if these prices hold up over time in our CGC cover-centric world.

One thing I like about the Top Notch 22 Archie Ad, is that the artist who put the ad together was not given important information about who Archie was. 

It's Archie, but he's missing his iconic red hair and "R" on his sweater.  I think it adds interest to this "1st appearance".

Whereas the ads for Action 1 are simply copies of the Action 1 cover. 

Imagine if, when More Fun 31 was being created, the "Ad guy" for the comic was told to put together a promo ad about a super powered alien that looks human, but wears a cape and comes from a planet called Krypton.... and he creates a Green-skinned alien with a "K" (for Krypton) on his chest.  Can you imagine the extra interest & desire it would generate for MF31?

Edited by gadzukes

Jimmy Olsen 31 has a House Ad for "Next Month's Superboy" (Superboy 68) which will introduce a character named "Bizarro"

Well, nobody told the artist for the Ad that Bizarro has White Skin and a backwards "S" on his chest, so this is what the Ad looked like...

Flesh colored, and a "B" on his chest.

Does it add any value to JO-31... probably not (unless Bizarro get's super popular I suppose), but I do find it pretty interesting.

IMG_2843.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes