• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top-Notch 22 first published Archie appearance?
2 2

49 posts in this topic

There's an ad in TN 22 for Archie "appearing in the December issue of Pep Comics" with an illustration of Archie, similar to how the character looked in Pep 22. Is this Archie's first published appearance? No mention of the ad in Overstreet.

There's an ad in TN 22 for Archie "appearing in the December issue of Pep Comics" with an illustration of Archie, similar to how the character looked in Pep 22. Is this Archie's first published appearance? No mention of the ad in Overstreet.

Ads are not considered first appearances. Though, this book should still be sought after and have good value. 2c

The way that Ad is worded it kind of makes you think that the Top Notch 22 may have come out a couple weeks before the Pep 22.

Wouldn't it say something like, "Archie begins in this month's issue of Pep Comics" if they came out at exactly the same time. Also, if this issue came out a week or two after Pep 22 then I believe Archie's hair would have been red in this Ad. The artist would have had full knowledge of Archie's hair color by then.

Certainly Overstreet needs to make mention of this issue.

Edited by gadzukes

Great book, though I'm not convinced it's worth a premium for an Archie ad (and certainly not the beyond ridiculous price for the Church copy listed on CLink).

This is the Hawkeye copy...

100_1163.jpg

Great book, though I'm not convinced it's worth a premium for an Archie ad (and certainly not the beyond ridiculous price for the Church copy listed on CLink).

100_1163.jpg

Love when the spine has gloss like that! :cloud9:

Great copy! :applause:

100_1163.jpg

You don't see many looking like Steve

Aren't both cover dated Dec 1941? Is there a way to know if one hit newstands a week or two before the other?

The way that Ad is worded it kind of makes you think that the Top Notch 22 may have come out a couple weeks before the Pep 22.

How sure are we that the Top Notch came out before the Pep? (shrug)

Maybe some of the comic sleuths on the board here can figure out the normal distribution dates of the month for the MLJ books. hm

Top Notch 22 has another Ad in it for Jackpot 3 (Fall edition) That comic (jackpot 3) would have probably hit the stands in Sept of 1941 (which is a month before Pep 22 came out)

Does Pep 22 have an Ad for Jackpot 3? That might reveal the timing of the release dates on these. It seems like I remember a thread where all of this was talked about at one time but I can't find it.

One of you boardies that has a Pep 22... any chance you can tell us what comic Ads are in that issue?

Edited by gadzukes

Love when the spine has gloss like that! :cloud9:

Great copy! :applause:

Thanks - the majority of my collection is raw and they're unpressed. When a book gets squished, the spine unfortunately often tends to lose its plumpness.

100_1163.jpg

Another amazing copy, Steve! Don't ever slab 'em... no need. :applause: