• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 mil mylars w/ flap

77 posts in this topic

October,

Currently the reason we see the bubble at the top is because there isn't enough board to cover it. So, what really needs to be done is a complete overhaul of the boards to allow them to cover all the mylar itself.

If you look at poly bags you see that boards completely fit to the top and there is no bubble. But if there is no board to cover that extra part, then you will get a bubble.

The reason I prefer the mylites is because it is so thin, the extra won't hurt because its too thin to curl the books.

I am in the process of designing a better board that will fit the mylars. I had hoped to do my own mylars, but its too expensive to get into that right now. The boards however are within my grasp and that will solve the problem of the "bubble"

Be sure to let me know if you get around to fixing that. I would be very interested. I would buy a hell of a lot more mylites if they didn't have that problem. The extra at the top cause my books to fit crooked and puts stress on the middle of the spine. Really irritating.

October,

Currently the reason we see the bubble at the top is because there isn't enough board to cover it. So, what really needs to be done is a complete overhaul of the boards to allow them to cover all the mylar itself.

If you look at poly bags you see that boards completely fit to the top and there is no bubble. But if there is no board to cover that extra part, then you will get a bubble.

The reason I prefer the mylites is because it is so thin, the extra won't hurt because its too thin to curl the books.

I am in the process of designing a better board that will fit the mylars. I had hoped to do my own mylars, but its too expensive to get into that right now. The boards however are within my grasp and that will solve the problem of the "bubble"

I am still waiting for you to come out with those clear back boards that you prototyped last year. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif If the pricing weren't too outrageous, I would buy 500-1,000 of those from you right off the bat.

October,

Boards should be here sometime in the summer. That is basically how we are aiming to fix it.

FFB,

Clear backing board costs were going to be around $1 for the 1/16th and $1.50 for 1/8th. We are still looking to see if another manufacturer can make them, because I would of had to order around 100k worth to get them from the first one.

October,

Boards should be here sometime in the summer. That is basically how we are aiming to fix it.

FFB,

Clear backing board costs were going to be around $1 for the 1/16th and $1.50 for 1/8th. We are still looking to see if another manufacturer can make them, because I would of had to order around 100k worth to get them from the first one.

I am assuming that the estimated cost of $1 is for EACH board. How many will come in one pack, or will they be sold individually?

Not all or even the majority of my books get the Mylite2/Microchamber/Fullback/Archive treatment. Probably only a few hundred of what I have would qualify. My Amazing Spider-Man run (about 500 issues with a lot of doubles) all get Fullback and Archive only, except for the ones worth more than $200.

All of my modern stuff gets polybags and regular back boards. All told across the entire collection, I probably only have about 1,000 books in Mylar.

I am fast becoming a believer in the acid-free boxes though. The acidic cardboard smell in my comic room from the regular cardboard boxes was becoming overwhelming if I left the door closed for more than a day. I can only imagine what the air inside of a regular cardboard box is like after a few months of being closed. I am in the process of switching away completely from regular cardboard. It's a small price to pay, I think.

I started off just using poly bags and boards for my collection. I would change them out every few years. I am in the process of buying M2s/FBs for all of my books. So far I have about 700-800 books done. I am really not looking forward to doing the other 9500 books. So when you mentioned the additional mylar, I can't imagine the cost of that.

Now for books that I have of value, I use mylar and FBs. These I am switching to the M2/FB and then adding the mylar over that.

Not all or even the majority of my books get the Mylite2/Microchamber/Fullback/Archive treatment. Probably only a few hundred of what I have would qualify. My Amazing Spider-Man run (about 500 issues with a lot of doubles) all get Fullback and Archive only, except for the ones worth more than $200.

All of my modern stuff gets polybags and regular back boards. All told across the entire collection, I probably only have about 1,000 books in Mylar.

I am fast becoming a believer in the acid-free boxes though. The acidic cardboard smell in my comic room from the regular cardboard boxes was becoming overwhelming if I left the door closed for more than a day. I can only imagine what the air inside of a regular cardboard box is like after a few months of being closed. I am in the process of switching away completely from regular cardboard. It's a small price to pay, I think.

I started off just using poly bags and boards for my collection. I would change them out every few years.

Did you really find this to be necessary or were you just being cautious? I have had a few hundred moderns in the same polybags and boards for 10+ years and they are completely fine. The bags have not degraded and look the same they did a decade ago, apart from some light wrinkling. Maybe it has to do with climate or other methods of storage, but my they have stood the test of time quite well. confused-smiley-013.gif Has anyone actually had a book damaged due to not changing a bag?

Did you really find this to be necessary or were you just being cautious? I have had a few hundred moderns in the same polybags and boards for 10+ years and they are completely fine. The bags have not degraded and look the same they did a decade ago, apart from some light wrinkling. Maybe it has to do with climate or other methods of storage, but my they have stood the test of time quite well. confused-smiley-013.gif Has anyone actually had a book damaged due to not changing a bag?

I've got books with yucky page quality that I blame on longterm polybag storage. I had a bunch of books that had been stored in the same polybags for about 14 years. The bags were disgustingly yellow, and so were the pages of the books. crazy.gif

Luckily, the books were mostly [#@$%!!!] anyways. 27_laughing.gif

From what I have seen, the worst that not changing a bag will really do is cause the front and back cover to become tacky after the bag is completely yellow. The book itself will most likely smell very badly and you will lose a lot of the whiteness that you once had. But I can't say for certain if it was from the bag, or where they might have been stored.

Did you really find this to be necessary or were you just being cautious? I have had a few hundred moderns in the same polybags and boards for 10+ years and they are completely fine. The bags have not degraded and look the same they did a decade ago, apart from some light wrinkling. Maybe it has to do with climate or other methods of storage, but my they have stood the test of time quite well. Has anyone actually had a book damaged due to not changing a bag?

I haven't seen where a book has deterioirated from keeping it inside a poly bag for many years. When I would notice that the bag became yellowed, wrinkly, and/or tacky I would change the bag/board. It's not like I did this every year. My earliest comics I bought off the rack may have seen 2-3 changes since the 80's, when I first started using bags/boards.

I figured it was better to be safe than sorry years down the line. Kinda why I am switching to the M2/FB now.

Not too long ago I bought a collection that was all from the 60's. The owner had told me he put them into bags/boards in 1975 and never changed them, and he certainly lost a substantial amount of money due to the degrading effects. Too bad mylar wasn't around back then.

I will have to give my polybags a closer look. Can't wait to rebag and board 6 longboxes worth. Christo_pull_hair.gif
Just be thankful you don't have 42 long boxes to do. sorry.gif

foreheadslap.gif Wish I had the 42 longboxes though. cloud9.gif

I will have to give my polybags a closer look. Can't wait to rebag and board 6 longboxes worth. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I wish I had house big enough to hold 42 longboxes.......I was happy with 2,200 sq. ft. until now.....

Slightly OT, but I've given up longboxes almost completely and opted for shortboxes, as they're easier to stash around the house and/or cram into the nooks and crannies of a closet. Just makes more sense for living in a one-bedroom apartment.

I wish I had house big enough to hold 42 longboxes.......I was happy with 2,200 sq. ft. until now.....

custom made cabinets was needed. I showed a picture of them a long time back.