• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highgradecomics.com Inventory clarification

9 posts in this topic

Some customers have been emailing me asking me if I have consignment books in my possession. First off, of the 26,000 books that are online less than 100 are consignment books. Second, of the 100 the only books NOT in my possession are CGC'd. Lastly, from the relaunch of my site it is clearly the "norm" that people want to bid on my inventory. The Bid notation does not identify a book as being consigned.

I also take consignments. It's very simple and my commission rate is 10%. Books will show up in my new arrival section immediately after your application has been approved. You are in complete control of your books, from setting the price to accepting/rejecting bids. Payments are immediately sent out after I am paid for the book, not end of month like some other sites.

Thanks

Bob Storms

www.highgradecomics.com

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also take consignments. It's very simple and my commission rate is 10%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esquirecomics.com only charges 7%

I would think that Bob's long term client base would be worth 3%. popcorn.gif

Quote:

I also take consignments. It's very simple and my commission rate is 10%.

Esquirecomics.com only charges 7%

I would think that Bob's long term client base would be worth 3%. popcorn.gif

Which is why I don't require exclusivity for consignments. I want to maximize the possibility of a sale, and have a satisfied customer. I have no objection to the owner trying to sell the book elsewhere. Not sure where other dealers stand on this across the board.

In any event, you should only consign to me if your book(s) fits within a niche that I have, and that is primarily Platinum, Golden and Atomic Age, especially HG. Bob's inventory and experience in this business is extensive, let there be no mistake about it, but we have very different focuses. If you want a Superman #2 CGC 8.0, or sell a book of that nature, odds are my site is a good place to start. For most anything else, Bob is likely your man to turn to, or at least one of the top.

I would definitely recommend that anytime you are looking for a particular book you check around, and certainly check Bob's site. He's from Long Island, and that gives him unquestionable credibility (I'm originally from Jericho myself)! yay.gif

P.S. I had nothing to do with PressGeek's posting! flowerred.gif

Just so you know, I'm not knocking your site at all. It seems to me, similar to what Doug did with Pedigree Comics and others, that you need a large personal inventory to keep interest in the site as you build up a consignment base.

I for one (and I know Bob agrees with this), hate to see the same book on three or four sites. While I believe there's the possiblity of maximum exposure, it also does give the appearance (to the casual observer) that there are several copies of this book available (and therefore makes the books seem common).

If I had to rank availabity of CGC'd Golden-Age to Bronze-Age NEW MATERIAL available for sale on a website it would be:

1) eBay

2) ComicLink

3) Pedigree Comics

4) Heritage (once every two weeks but a huge selection)

5) HighGradeComics

6) PGCMint

7) Metropolis Comics

and everyone else is just completely random

To me if you can't break into that group, then it's tough to sustain an active customer base.

Just so you know, I'm not knocking your site at all. It seems to me, similar to what Doug did with Pedigree Comics and others, that you need a large personal inventory to keep interest in the site as you build up a consignment base.

I for one (and I know Bob agrees with this), hate to see the same book on three or four sites. While I believe there's the possiblity of maximum exposure, it also does give the appearance (to the casual observer) that there are several copies of this book available (and therefore makes the books seem common).

If I had to rank availabity of CGC'd Golden-Age to Bronze-Age NEW MATERIAL available for sale on a website it would be:

1) eBay

2) ComicLink

3) Pedigree Comics

4) Heritage (once every two weeks but a huge selection)

5) HighGradeComics

6) PGCMint

7) Metropolis Comics

and everyone else is just completely random

To me if you can't break into that group, then it's tough to sustain an active customer base.

Time will tell about the size of my inventory and customer base. Keep in mind that unlike everyone else you've listed this is not my primary business. That is one reason why I am carving out a very specific niche. Very HG books that will typically be $1k and more. It won't be uncommon that many of the books are in the $5k - $15k range. For those types of books, your list needs to be modified as several of those sites do not often have HG GA all the time. Of course they are strong in other areas, but not areas that I will typically roam.

As for the multiple listings, that doesn't concern me, at least not for the reason you stated. For one thing, most of my books will be CGC'd. For example, I presume anyone spending $15.5k on Superman #2 CGC 8.0 will check the CGC census (there are 2 copies at 8.0) to see how many copies exist. While those #s are not always accurate, when they are wrong they generally reflect that more copies exist than they do (b/c of resubmitting and getting a different grade).

Also, my site will clearly list the CGC id # so the person can easily check to see if the book is identical to that posted on another site.