• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine #131 Recalled issue?

13 posts in this topic

I was cruising through a price guide online, checking to see how complete it was, and it lists a Wolverine #131 "Recalled Issue" Anyone know what the problem with it was?

An anti-semitic slur that rhymes with pike, trike and mike.

I believe it was the 3rd page on the left side.

Wolverine I believe it telling a story where he says, "The kike known as Sabertooth"

Marvel must of received complaints so they changed it to, "The Killer known as Sabertooth"

The way you can tell is on the barcode. The original one have the 5 digit number 13111 and the replacement says 13112.

If anyone wants to see a scan let me know, I have a few laying around somewhere.

Wolverine I believe it telling a story where he says, "The kike known as Sabertooth"

Marvel must of received complaints so they changed it to, "The Killer known as Sabertooth"

The way you can tell is on the barcode. The original one have the 5 digit number 13111 and the replacement says 13112.

If anyone wants to see a scan let me know, I have a few laying around somewhere.

And then there is this version of the story:

This news comes as part of the team coverage in the October 23 number of the Comic Buyer's Guide, the tabloid newspaper of the comic-book trade, of the fallout from the reference to "the kike known as Sabretooth" in Wolverine #131. "More than a third of retailers responding said they were selling at least some of their copies of the recalled version," reports John Jackson Miller. While the recalled Wolverine comic is sure to become a rarity sought out by collectors, Mr. Miller writes, only a few comic-book vendors told him that they planned to charge a premium on the comic book. One retailer, identified only as a person from the mid-Atlantic region, told Mr. Miller, "While I can see that some might see this as an opportunity to make a few extra bucks selling the 'slur' copies, we are only opening a can of worms that the industry doesn't need."

Another article hypothesizes that the word "kike" appeared as the result of an error in typing "killer" compounded by a careless use of a spell-checker on a computer. "A slight misalignment of the fingers could produce 'kikker,' which would then spell-check to the offending word," writes the Comic Buyer's Guide, suggesting that readers should try it themselves. (The Featherman File's computer spat back kicker and Kikai, which is a Japanese island, but not kike)

Last, columnist Peter David resorted to a parody in which he composed a series of wire-service articles that describe how the recall of the Wolverine slur issue escalated into a war involving Israel, Italy, Spain and Ireland.

In his column, which Mr. David labels with a warning that it is a "complete lapse of good taste," he invents a spokesman for the "Jewish Anti-Defamation League" who complains, "Between the spics and the wops running the comics industry, the micks who are selling the books and profiteering - it's just incredible. But we will not stand for it. And we are going to use the 27 movie studios and 18 networks we own and control to drive home the point."

And this version:

I just thought you would like to know why Marvel recalled (Wolverine 131). Well, on the holiest day of the Jewish religion, Wolverine 131 was slated to come out, and it actually made it all the way to comic stores. However, what Marvel learned while the book was in transit was that the letterer threw in an anti-Semitic slur as a joke and the editor didn't catch it. In a panel on page six, Wolverine refers to Sabertooth as a kike which is bad form for Marvel.

There's more on google......

rather see a scan of Bella 893applaud-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

rather see a scan of Bella 893applaud-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

Please yeah if it isnt too much hassle smile.gif