• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SIN CITY - Reviewed!!!! (Mild Spoilers)

13 posts in this topic

I just returned from an advance screening of Sin City, so here's the review:

Visually stunning, hard-boiled, ultra-violent, and damn entertaining!!!! I loved it! If you are a fan of the stories you are going to be very pleased. I don't think I've ever seen any movie so true to its source. It really was Miller's work come to life. It didn't take itself too seriously and kept reminding you that it was, in fact, a comic-book movie. But, in a good way.

The scenes looked just like the comic. From Hartigan rotting away in a cell to him first seeing "little Nacy Callahan, all grown up" to Dwight & Gail's passionate kiss, Rodriguez & Miller just nailed it. The color splashes against the B&W were a perfect touch.

The characters were outstanding with Mickey Rourke, as Marv, stealing the show. He was absolutely chilling. He's as hard-boiled as they come, but you can't help feel a small soft spot for him. I think the casting there was perfect. He got a lot of laughs with tough-guy one-liners. As Dwight, Clive Owen, was my second favorite. Played the cool, always in control bad- to a tee. Bruce Willis was actually the least believable as Hartigan, although he was pretty good. He just didn't look hard enough, or anywhere near old enough to evoke the character in the comics.

Oh yeah, and the babes! cloud9.gif Holy smokes! Alba was mega-hot as Nancy. Scary how much she looked like the drawings at times. Rosario Dawson was fantastic as Gail, and I had no idea she was so hot. hail.gif Brittany Murphy was her sleazy little self.

I realize this isn't much of a review, but I don't want to give anything away (although for readers of the series, there aren't many surprises). If you're a fan of the series, you'll like this movie. If you're a fan of hard-boiled, nothing to lose characters, you'll like this movie.

I HATE YOU !!! mad.gif

Why? 'Cos I saw it? yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

No, because you have a lame avatar. yay.gifpoke2.gif

Don't spoil my thread. sumo.gif

It's glowing praise of your false prophet. thumbsup2.gif

I can't wait to see it! cloud9.gif

I realize this isn't much of a review.

Funny.. I found it to be a really decent review.

Looking foward to seeing it.

Ze-

The characters were outstanding with Mickey Rourke, as Marv, stealing the show. He was absolutely chilling. He's as hard-boiled as they come, but you can't help feel a small soft spot for him. I think the casting there was perfect. He got a lot of laughs with tough-guy one-liners.

Oh, Mickey ...

Mickey Rourke is hoping his new movie "Sin City" will do for his career what "Pulp Fiction" did for John Travolta. He told Rolling Stone magazine, "All I need is one f------ shot, because I know the kind of talent I got." Rourke said that at one point he was so broke he had to do odd jobs to make ends meet but he insists that even then he wouldn't take meetings with unknown directors. "I still have my pride," he said. "If Joe Blow wants to put me in a movie, he better have a lot of f------ money to pay me."

The characters were outstanding with Mickey Rourke, as Marv, stealing the show. He was absolutely chilling. He's as hard-boiled as they come, but you can't help feel a small soft spot for him. I think the casting there was perfect. He got a lot of laughs with tough-guy one-liners.

Oh, Mickey ...

Mickey Rourke is hoping his new movie "Sin City" will do for his career what "Pulp Fiction" did for John Travolta. He told Rolling Stone magazine, "All I need is one f------ shot, because I know the kind of talent I got." Rourke said that at one point he was so broke he had to do odd jobs to make ends meet but he insists that even then he wouldn't take meetings with unknown directors. "I still have my pride," he said. "If Joe Blow wants to put me in a movie, he better have a lot of f------ money to pay me."

What a guy. I can't think of why he hasn't been more popular with the moviegoing public. yeahok.gif

Maybe he's finally done something decent in Sin City. It's only been 20 years since his last decent roles in Diner and Body Heat.