• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody recommend some shops in the Baltimore/DC area?

52 posts in this topic

See if Diamond Int'l Galleries (Baltimore) has tours or an open house this year

I was recently told to do the same. I haven't contacted them yet, but the guy at my shop said that they are still doing tours, and that Steve's collection is absolutely amazing. Field Trip anyone?

Chris

I just wanted to thank everybody for the warm welcome to the forums as well as any recommendations given on shops in the area. I'll have to see about visiting some of the shops this weeekend.

See if Diamond Int'l Galleries (Baltimore) has tours or an open house this year

I planned to give them a call this afternoon and find out if they do in fact have a tour schedule. I'll be sure to post what I find out.

I used to like going to Barbarian Books in Wheaton because it was the only place around that still looked and felt like an old comic store, with piles upon piles of stuff everywhere and surprises around every corner. Of course you could never find anything...

But now, for reasons I'm not privy to, they left their location of many years and moved across the street to a tinier storefront that's maybe a third of their former space. Their inventory is down to nothing - I heard the guy was even giving away tons of stuff at the end to anyone lucky enough to be there during the move - and the store has lost its magic I'm sorry to say.

And as far as I know, we do give tours up in the Gallery to anyone who calls and makes an appointment. I've seen it so often, it's like "Eh, comics and ducks." But that's just me smile.gif.

Arnold

Last summer I went to the "new" Barbarian books. They had a few old X-men, none better than Fine+. Back issue stock was very limited.

There used to be alot of pretty descent stores around (as other's have mentioned), but now (at least for back issues), it is extremely limited. Shows are the way to go around here.

Chris

I love the shows at Tysons Corner and the BaltimoreCon. I'll have to attend a show in Gaithersburg and the same people host another show in Tysons Corner at the Westpark Hotel. I heard that there is a great toy/comic show in Timonium.
Are dealers getting many new collections at the Tyson's show, or do the dealers change much? I went for 4-5 months in a row last year, but I started seeing the same dealers with the same stuff over and over and very little new material, so I stopped going. It makes me wonder whether E-Bay is the place where over half of all collections flow to these days instead of through dealers.

I'll have to check out Richmond shows at one point....
No need, I've bought everything from the guys who come to that show. tongue.gif There are about 10-15 dealers who do those shows, and most of them are the same mainstays at the Tyson's shows. A few local dealers do attend that show who don't go to DC, but not many.

Are dealers getting many new collections at the Tyson's show, or do the dealers change much?

It's mainly the same guys, but they've been doing a descent job of not bringing the same stuff to every show. Lots of DD material (as you might imagine) at the last show. Still some good stuff available, and deals to be had.

A few months ago though, imagine my surprise when I got there and Harley Yee was set up!!!!

Chris

Harley shows up every 4-8 months. Last time I went to Tyson's was specifically to see him; he sends postcards to people who win his E-Bay auctions advertising when he's going to shows in your area. I blew like $3K last time he came...I think he needs to slab more of his early Marvels, though. He had a Spidey #9 for $2000 that I thought about buying but didn't...several months later that same copy showed up on E-Bay in a restored CGC case and I bought it for under $500.

Yeah, he has some nice stuff (luckily I was only looking for one specific book) and I can see how you could blow some dough w/ him. He had some Gaines File Copies (drool!) but they were out of my range that day. Lucky you passed on that Spidey!

The coolest thing he had, by far, was an Action #1 (restored 8.5). Sweet looking book! So cool to see THE book up close!

Chris

The Gallery rotates the displays every once in a while. There are Golden and Silver Age books in there usually, lots of old DCs and westerns and, of course, ducks. Lots of duck paintings on the walls, some original art, lots of cover re-creation paintings by Murphy Anderson and the like.