• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Expo 2016 con report

374 posts in this topic

My original art purchase from the show.

Tomb of Dracula #10 page 19

Tomb-of-Dracula-10p19%201.bmp.jpeg

I did not see this Colan page for sale at Calgary expo. Don't know how u can afford to collect Timely's, slabs, raw SA, BA and original :banana: comic art.

I didn't see any OA at all at the show.

My original art purchase from the show.

Tomb of Dracula #10 page 19

Tomb-of-Dracula-10p19%201.bmp.jpeg

I did not see this Colan page for sale at Calgary expo. Don't know how u can afford to collect Timely's, slabs, raw SA, BA and original :banana: comic art.

I didn't see any OA at all at the show.

was a regular customer of ours who brought it to sell. He had this Colan Dracula page and an Archie cover.

It was a decent show for GA, especially compared to previous years. I would definitely say the shows in Chicago and NY would be better GA venues.

A lot of the GA was over priced and over graded.

I was able to pick up the following GA books at the show:

Amazing Adventures 1

Web of Mystery 1

Wings 93 - D Copy

I'll post scans later this week.

I also passed on an All Select 11 (for obvious reasons)...

Lot of artists just draw and color digitally now from laptops or Microsoft Surface tablet that can upload at 300 dpi. At the very back row of artist alley where Zeck/Beatty were sitting, a few of the old time artists (e.g. Ron Randall from Dark Horse, Marvel) actually had ten or 20 year old original art on Bristol board for sale, not large color laser copy prints or lithos which are the norm at comicons now. :preach:

I had a chat with a customer re: Saga. He is from Calgary and knows Fiona Staples and her boyfriend. He said that her friends and others have told her that she is leaving a ton of $$$ on the table by not doing the the pencilled version of the artwork. I am guessing she would get $5K per cover (if not more), times minimum 6 covers per year, which would work out to an extra $30K annually just from the Saga run.

Canadian Comics.

IMG_0286_zpsr7jqwjpk.jpg

IMG_0287_zpspc8fjhgy.jpg

That AF15 is sharp looking, did you glance at the price tag?

It was very sharp looking, it unfortunately was a photocopy cover.