• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Comic Show - June 19, 2016

73 posts in this topic

Dawn McTeigue and Mike Krome will be there.

Maybe you could consider waiting until the full list is out before you declare it a disappointment or weak? Sounds like you have very specific wants.

Also, no - not difficult to get guests because of the dollar.

You kidding? I see a few names that I would want meet and maybe get one or two sketches and books signed. Assuming if when it is officially for sure. Thanks for sharing, and hope for a good show. :wishluck:

I heard Cyril dominated the buying because I wasn't around.

The Selling was great too :grin:

Same on me, sold a few keys and lots of cheap reader comics. Almost as good as the last show before.

What had gone sold:

Forget to add: Avengers #5 silver age

Batman #181 and 227 (low grade)

A 1950s horror comic in trade for Flash #116 for a upgrade in my collection.

Some Bronze Age marvels

One short box amount of $1.00 books sold

Many mid-high grades in assorted titles out the boxes.

I had a few nibbles on Star Wars #42 on my wall. No sale :tonofbricks: I priced it well reasonable considering what I've seen others with their copies.

Got a couple inquires with requests what collectors are seeking. So I will be out hunting the books for next show in October! <3

Would say overall attendance up at least 25% compared to previous record high attendance. Customers were still paying to get into the hall at 4 pm even though it officially closed at 5 p.m. My retail sales 70% over my target so a tremendous comicon for me.

Some sales:

ASM # 25 Mary Jane vf, # 38 Kraven vf

ASM 27 vg+ $70

ASM: Renew your Vows #4 Iron Spidey; getting hot?

Avengers Neal Adams

Batman 181 vg Poison Ivy

Brave Bold N. Adams (Creeper)

Brave Bold #200 Katanna $20

Capt America 111 Steranko $ 75

Capt Marvel 33 Thanos hot $ 49

Detective 474 Deadshot, Marshall Rogers vf+ $ 90

DC Comics Presents 26 bent $40 NTT

DC Superstars (3rd copy of Zatanna solo comic I have sold).

Dell Gt Donald Duck $99

Demon Annual #2 1st Hitman, 2nd copy sold, bent $ 10

FF 56 1st Ronan $ 50

FF Annual #5 Surfer and Inhumans by Kirby.

Infinity Gauntlet #2 $20

Marv Spotlight #29 Moon Knight

Marv Spotlight 32 Spider-woman $ 100

Moon Knight #1 $20

My Little Pony: sells at every con to families. $5

bundle of 6 SA Mystery in Space w/ Adam Strange vg-, and a Scooby Doo to another vendor.

NTT Annual #2 1st Vigilante

Omega (Marvel v. 1) #1, the Unknown.

Planet of the Apes 1 sheet poster, 1973 re-release $40 to a dealer.

Powerman Iron Fist #48 Byrne

Rifle Man 10 (Got wood cvr :roflmao: ) vg-

Saga

Scarlet #1 (Icon) $20. There were only 2 copies at this show.

Shazam #8 100 pager, Black Adam GA reprint.

She-Hulk, Savage v. 1, #1 $ 30

Silver Surfer v. 1 #6

GK Space Family Robinson 27, 28 :wishluck: to a gentleman who had never been to a con before and asked if he was allowed to negotiate on the price for the pair.

2 Star Wars mags

Superboy #100

Thor 154 $30

What If #10 She-Thor $20 vf

My buddy sold a raw, signed Dark Horse Aliens b/w vol. 1 #1 $60. My neighbour sold a Black Panther #1 Kirby $80. :o

Also bought:

Silver Surfer #3 Mephisto hype from next Avengers: Infinity War movie

Strange Tales 134 1st Watcher from Fan Boy. :luhv:

Superman 100 pager N. Adams wrap around cover proffered by a walk-in. I usually get 1st pick of any sell/trade offers as my table is next to the front door. (thumbs u

Great energy and buzz at Van Comic Show. No wonder there are over 20 vendors on the wait list for a 100 table con. :taptaptap:

Isn't the first watcher FF 13?

You are correct. Think 1st Watcher on cover was Strange Tales #134. Solid back up Ditko Dr Strange story with Clea vs Baron Mordo too. Not sure why this issue is so low in Overstreet since the advent of slabbing and everyone just looks for ;) the front cover hero/villian appearances these days.

Saw Before Watchmen Dr Manhattan #4 priced at $40 each; not sure if they sold.

Heard that Flatliner wholesaled his table of 10 long boxes at the end of the con so his sidekick did not have to drag them back into their SUV.

New guerilla marketing tactic used:

the Brothers that run the Van Comic Show did a 15 min. question/answer period on local Vancouver Roundhouse Radio 98.3 FM to promote this family oriented pop culture (thumbs u event.

You are correct. Think 1st Watcher on cover was Strange Tales #134. Solid back up Ditko Dr Strange story with Clea vs Baron Mordo too. Not sure why this issue is so low in Overstreet since the advent of slabbing and everyone just looks for ;) the front cover hero/villian appearances these days.

Heard that Flatliner wholesaled his table of 10 long boxes at the end of the con so his sidekick did not have to drag them back into their SUV.

the Brothers that run the Van Comic Show did a 15 min. question/answer period on local Vancouver Roundhouse Radio 98.3 FM to promote this family oriented pop culture (thumbs u event.

Happy to know you like this copy. Yes, through the FF 13 features the Watcher in it, only his ghost image was on it. ST 134 features his solid image on cover for 1st time. Like aardvark88 said, it was underated in Overstreet. I got it as part of a lot, made out good.

Really? Since there is 20 vendors on waiting list. When will the Bros decide to take this show one level up for a better show? When it is 30, 40 vendors on list? :baiting:

Sidekick really? and it was 5 long boxes, sold the other 5 long boxes during the show..

Game 7 started at 5... Must be done

~T

Word is that the first show next year will have the second room opened

Thus, we will be looking at a huge 125+ (thumbs u 8' table Vancouver Comic Show three times in 2017. Competition is good in the long run. :wishluck:

Pics from their staff photographer should be posted on their website shortly. :whatev:

Darn, can't even blame greggy for leaning over onto some poor vendor's wall rack as he was in the USA. :grin: If the vendor had a center table, it may have been Hartley's rack.

Paid attendance about 750 ppl not including the young kids who got in for free on Father's Day. :headbang:

Flatliner,

Was the person you wholesaled your last 5 long boxes to a collector or trying to start up a comic store? :ohnoez:

Darn, can't even blame greggy for leaning over onto some poor vendor's wall rack as he was in the USA. :grin: If the vendor had a center table, it may have been Hartley's rack.

Paid attendance about 750 ppl not including the young kids who got in for free on Father's Day. :headbang:

Flatliner,

Was the person you wholesaled your last 5 long boxes to a collector or trying to start up a comic store? :ohnoez:

I can think of 2-3 vendors who have standing wall racks in centre. One vendor has a rack on table, Hartley's rack and another vendor's rack. Both are on floor standing. Didn't see that happened so I don't know whom rack got toppled? (shrug)

Not bad with the number of attendance, even with kids got in for free. I had sold to few kids some good cheap comics at good deals.

Had a young 10 year old boy negotiate hard for a SA Aquaman vg and a BA Iron Man vg+ with his allowance money. Same boy bought a SA World's Finest vg+ from me at previous Van Comic Show. :applause: Strangely, he was not buying newer ASM, Deadpool, Harlequin or new 52 Batman.

Had a young 10 year old boy negotiate hard for a SA Aquaman vg and a BA Iron Man vg+ with his allowance money. Same boy bought a SA World's Finest vg+ from me at previous Van Comic Show. :applause: Strangely, he was not buying newer ASM, Deadpool, Harlequin or new 52 Batman.

Was the boy a blond and slim? Had a young boy asked me the same question about Aquaman. Sadly I left a few books at home. :tonofbricks:

Impressive of his interest in SA comics. He shows his knowledge on me. Kind of like me at the same age! :applause:

Fan boy,

Yes, 10 year old boy was blonde, slender. His brother about 8 years old was next to him.

fyi, Vanc Expo Aug/16 flyers now in circulation at fine (thumbs u comic stores including Golden Age, Tazmanian Comics, and Hourglass Comics.

Was the boy a blond and slim? Had a young boy asked me the same question about Aquaman. Sadly I left a few books at home. :tonofbricks:

Impressive of his interest in SA comics. He shows his knowledge on me. Kind of like me at the same age! :applause:

His dad made him do the negotiation so they can get a better deal. :D

They just released an official announcement about expanding.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: We have been steadily growing a strong Vendor Wait list for over a year now. Due to this & constant increases in attendance we are excited to announce that we will be opening a 2nd room in 2017 at the Croatian Cultural Centre, beginning with the 10th VCS on FEBRUARY 26, 2017. The 2nd room is located directly across the foyer from the current room & can be accessed that way or through the short hallway where the Food Concession is located. The 2nd room is quite large at 50% the size of our current room. When sold out this will make the VCS an ongoing 140+ 8 foot table Pop Culture Extravaganza right here in Vancouver that we can all be proud of. This would not have been possible without all of your great Vendor Support so a BIG THANK YOU goes out to all involved!

This is very interesting. This show has been a hit since it first started, and has grown to a point where they can now expand. Which begs the question - Why?

What has made this show so special, and made the other Independent comic shows in the city Wilt? (Heritage Hall and Scottish Cultural Center)

I am interested in hearing everyone's opinions.

Click on the pics here to zoom in on prices of a wide assortment of comics, toys, wax packs, etc.

http://www.canadiancomics.net/show-08.html

Thanks to LW of HH con banning so many vendors the last 35 years, they joined together to support and cross-promote this Van Comic Show. Also due to technology, pop culture networking via website, Facebook, Twitter, chat rooms, and explosion of mainstream interest in Fox, Marvel and DC movies after Dark Knight 1-3 and Iron Man 1 (world loves Robert Downey, Jr <3 ) to Avengers: Ultron to Capt America/Black Panther movies.

Scottish Cultural Ctr show in South Vancouver is not central enough compared to East Vancouver for a comicon.

Yes, close to skytrain and commercial drive. Also can't hurt when it coincides with car-free day on the drive as it did last weekend. I'm sure lots of people walked up after seeing the colorful posters everywhere.