• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Comic Show - June 19, 2016

73 posts in this topic

Seems like Vancouver Comic Show is the place to see a wider variety of comics or paper collectibles from vendors like the following:

Chris Wiser's warehouse from Langley, BC.

The Brothers,

aardvark88

Eegabeeva from Victoria, BC

Flatliner and Thanos88

Rob L.

Nick D.

Hartley's GA, SA, BA.

Verne S.

Craig G.

Admission price is reasonable $5 for what will be a monstrous 140 table comicon in 2017. Fan Expo admission is about $35 Saturday prepaid rate, if u like to see or get sigs from media/comic guests, Anime Revolution or Evolution admission about $50/ Saturday.

Sounds like the promoter is doing a lot right. Low admission price and lots of advertising and social media and I'm assuming reasonable booth costs.

Similar to the Red and White Show in Calgary and the Pop Culture Show in Edmonton, both of which have a waiting list for vendors and a steady stream of shoppers.

The Van Comic Show's wall tables with the tax are (thumbs u about $80 each which is good value compared to Red and White's 8' tables. Since Calgary can support 2 100 table Red and White Shows per year, hopefully Vancouver can support 3 140 table Shows per year in 2017.

How many tables at the EDM Pop Culture Show? Is it 3 times per year? (shrug)

The Van Comic Show's wall tables with the tax are (thumbs u about $80 each which is good value compared to Red and White's 8' tables. Since Calgary can support 2 100 table Red and White Shows per year, hopefully Vancouver can support 3 140 table Shows per year in 2017.

Pop is twice a year. Not sure how many tables but would guess about 125. It's in a perfect location near downtown and it's been there a while so collectors know where to go. I'd guess he gets between 1000 and 1500 paid attendance each show. Tables are around $125 each so $80 tables in Van is a good deal.

If I had a criticism for the show, it is that they seem to have the same artist guests every single show. With an expansion forthcoming, my request would be for them to invest in getting some fresh guests, and maybe bringing in a bigger name or two. To keep it Canadian, Fiona Staples maybe?

Fiona Staples (Saga, new Archie) had the most consistent line up of collector/fans looking for her at Calgary expo but she was hardly ever signing at her table. I know she was involved in the new Archie 45 minute panel with other artists like Dan Parent.

I would like the Brothers to try to get some minor media related guests. Think they have a lead on a co-director of Supergirl tv series :wishluck: parts of which are being filmed in Vancouver (and Los Angeles).

Edmonton has the following shows:

Pop Culture - 2 times per year

Edmonton Collector Con - 3 - 4 times per year

Edmonton Expo - once a year in September

Eek Fest - once a year

I thought that this would be too many shows in a year, but sales have been consistent for the most part from show to show even in this down economy. It will be interesting to see what happens when the economy heats up again. :wishluck:

Wow, I am really impressed that EDM can support so many comic and pop culture shows. About 1,000+ paid attendance for 2 separate 100 dealer's table cons is fantastic growth. :golfclap:

fyi, I have now handed out Vancouver Expo Aug/16 flyers to extra LCS including Rx Comics, and tomorrow Sat, Imperial Hobbies in Richmond, and Central City Comics in Surrey, BC should have them.

DC Superstars (3rd copy of Zatanna solo comic I have sold).

Might have been the same 2 young girls that came with their Dad, the came and swept my table of any Zatanna books I had. Told them to come back next time, I'll bring a longbox full of Zatanna books. They then told me I had the best table at the show, solely because of my supply of Zatanna books. I told them they were my new favorite customers.

I sold that DC Superstars Zatanna solo comic to a flipper who was restocking comics for Fan Expo Vancouver. All comics with Zatanna covers worth stocking. Just restocked Justice League Dark lenticular cover (almost 3D looking). (thumbs u

Glad Silver Sable finally getting hot so I can unload my stash of origin issues.

uMmvDW2l.jpg

fyi, Vanc Expo August, 2016 flyers now distributed at Big Pete's and Hobby Box Cards in North Vancouver, and Metropolis Cards and Comics in Burnaby.

Vanc Expo flyers were left overs from Red Deer expo. Brasco seems to like advertising on radio stations, social media, and perhaps a billboard, to target the 92% fan base of a Pop Culture Show that does not buy back issues. :wishluck: