• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know anything about DC's founder Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson?

55 posts in this topic

Given my love for history, I have been enjoying reading "DC Comics: A Celebration of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes" by Les Daniels, particularly given the historical context it provides.

I found the brief biographical information Daniels provides on Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, D.C.'s founder and who is credited with creating the comic book as we know it today, to be quite interesting. However, it is far too brief. Indeed, Daniels' notes that the Major died in obscurity in 1968 at the age of 78.

Can anyone recommend any other books, websites or articles that provide more details about the man and his role in shaping our hobby?

Hi Mark,

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm fairly positive that the book Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones has some info on him. I'll try to take a look tonight.

For anyone who hasn't read this book yet, I recommend it very highly. It's a fascinating and quite entertaining examination of the early days of the comic book industry, and gives attention not just to the writers and artists but to the publishers, financers etc of the early industry and how it came to be. The main thread of the book becomes the story of Siegel and Shuster's creation of Superman and their rise and decline, but it's crammed with lots of other interesting stories, insights and anecdotes. Just my opinion, but I can't imagine that anyone reading this GA board wouldn't enjoy it!

Try the comic 50 Who Made DC Great. The Major is listed as # 2 behind only M.C. Gaines at # 1.

"The Depression forced Wheeler-Nicholson to sell his publishing business to Harry Donenfeld & Jack Liebowitz in 1937. " sumo.gif

Hi Mark,

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm fairly positive that the book Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones has some info on him. I'll try to take a look tonight.

For anyone who hasn't read this book yet, I recommend it very highly. It's a fascinating and quite entertaining examination of the early days of the comic book industry, and gives attention not just to the writers and artists but to the publishers, financers etc of the early industry and how it came to be. The main thread of the book becomes the story of Siegel and Shuster's creation of Superman and their rise and decline, but it's crammed with lots of other interesting stories, insights and anecdotes. Just my opinion, but I can't imagine that anyone reading this GA board wouldn't enjoy it!

I'll second your suggestion! 893applaud-thumb.gif

"Men of Tomorrow" is a very good read with a lot of interesting insight.

I did take a look and yep, Men of Tomorrow has quite a few nuggets of information about the major, which include the circumstances behind his commissioning the very first DC comics circa 1935 or so... Check it out!

Hi Mark,

I'll second your suggestion! 893applaud-thumb.gif

"Men of Tomorrow" is a very good read with a lot of interesting insight.

Thanks guys. I just ordered my copy.

Here's a lovely passage from the prologue of Men of Tomorrow (in an effort to perhaps intrigue a few more of you who don't yet have this book).....

"Jerry Siegel, Jack Liebowitz, Joe Shuster, Harry Donenfeld, Charlie Gaines, Bob Kahn, Stanley Lieber, Jake Kurtzberg, Mort Weisinger: all born in the course of a generation, all acquainted with each other, all Jewish kids, the sons of immigrants, many of them misfits in their own communities. They were all two or three steps removed from the American mainstream but were more poignantly in touch with the desires and agonies of that mainstream than those in the middle of it. In the pursuit of a quick buck, a splashy novelty, some relief from their own lonely anxiety, they invented a cultural form that came like a revelation to kids of every class and ethnicity, that would evolve to become part of adolescent and adult fantasy, and that would outlast its inital fad by sixty years and set an entertainment norm in an era vastly different from the one that spawned it."

Here's a lovely passage from the prologue of Men of Tomorrow (in an effort to perhaps intrigue a few more of you who don't yet have this book).....

"Jerry Siegel, Jack Liebowitz, Joe Shuster, Harry Donenfeld, Charlie Gaines, Bob Kahn, Stanley Lieber, Jake Kurtzberg, Mort Weisinger: all born in the course of a generation, all acquainted with each other, all Jewish kids, the sons of immigrants, many of them misfits in their own communities. They were all two or three steps removed from the American mainstream but were more poignantly in touch with the desires and agonies of that mainstream than those in the middle of it. In the pursuit of a quick buck, a splashy novelty, some relief from their own lonely anxiety, they invented a cultural form that came like a revelation to kids of every class and ethnicity, that would evolve to become part of adolescent and adult fantasy, and that would outlast its inital fad by sixty years and set an entertainment norm in an era vastly different from the one that spawned it."

Turns out there is a current exhibit at one of the Jewish Museums in the Atlanta, GA area about comic books and the large number - as stated above - of Jewish writers during the 1930s-40s. I am getting more info and will post it.

Can anyone provide me contact information, or even just names, of those from the comic world who were around during the days of the Major and are still walking (or at least breathing) among us?

I know that Flessel is one, and probably Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon. I have contact info for Flessel and Simon but have struck out in finding Robinson. popcorn.gif

Mark,

Jerry Robinson was at the last New York National show and should be at a few other shows in the near future. Not sure if he will be at the New York Comic-Con or not, but he was out at San Diego last year.

Tom

Can anyone provide me contact information, or even just names, of those from the comic world who were around during the days of the Major and are still walking (or at least breathing) among us?

I know that Flessel is one, and probably Jerry Robinson and Joe Simon. I have contact info for Flessel and Simon but have struck out in finding Robinson. popcorn.gif

Stan Lee.

The comics exhibit at the Bremer Museum in Atlanta has closed but it's traveling and they have a few new spots lined up for next year. I have a copy of the program and it's very nice.

Wheeler-Nicholson was indeed showcased in a recent CBM. Nice piece of work.

And here's what Michael Uslan said in his book about the sale of DC by Nicholson to Donenfeld and his cronies:

Major Nicholson did not have the financial resources necessary to keep publishing through those Depression years, and he soon went into receivership. Harry Donenfeld, a publisher of pulp magazines, offered to buy him out for $19,703 plus assumption of debts. The offer was accepted. New Adventure # 24 was Major Nicholson's last stand. Number 25 was published by A.L. Nemin, receiver; number 26 was the first issue put out by Donenfeld's Detective Comics, Inc., in May 1938.

Can you imagine that DC was bought for such a pittance? Man, first they buy the company for a song then they screw Siegal and Shuster. I have the greatest respect for the people at DC right now, but jeez, what a bunch of opportunists and creeps they were back then.