• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have experience with Philip Weiss Auctions?

5 posts in this topic

I've been to their auctions a few times since they are local to me here on Long Island. They have a connection to the owner of the Big Apple collection and they have been selling BA books for over a decade (and there just seems to be an unlimited supply of BA books apparently). Vincent from Metropolis has attended a few shows I've been at and he's bought armloads of books from them.

Two things to be cautious of: first, they sell like an old school auction house, meaning 'where is/as is'. So if you buy it, I don't believe there is a return policy. Which segues into the second thing; they don't usually disclose restoration. If something's been done to the book, it's up to you to see that and to bid accordingly. (I know that makes it tough to bid online when you can't actually preview the book, but that's how it goes). The in-person bidders have commented more than once in my presence how the online winning bidder went way too high because they obviously couldn't see some defects on the books they were bidding on.

At least one book that I know of had undisclosed restoration which was revealed after it was sent to CGC, and it was an expensive book too, going for over $1,000. Where there's one, there's more than one, IMO.

Lastly, there's a hardcore group of about 4-6 guys who will bid at the auctions and push stuff up to where its cheaper to get the books on ebay. I've found that it's a poor place to find bargains.

Good luck! Hope you get what you think you're bidding on!

Phillip Weiss is a huge book/magazine/pulp/comic/anything-paper dealer and one of the biggest. He is also the founder of the Bethlehem collection. He is totally legitimate, but he does so much businss that you should not get your hopes up too high for that "personal" touch in your transaction. He is not going to waste time trying to restore books; he probably bought a big collection and is just trying to move it along as is.

Joe