• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed board transaction.

157 posts in this topic

All the customs moralizing is adorable.

(shrug)

I have had Canada Customs hold a comic until I drove to their customs office at the airport and provide proof of purchase. From this they determined the correct value and made sure they collected.

Took 3 hours of the day to complete.

(shrug)

I have had Canada Customs hold a comic until I drove to their customs office at the airport and provide proof of purchase. From this they determined the correct value and made sure they collected.

Took 3 hours of the day to complete.

I agree with you, it's generally best to just pay the piper.

Just FYI: Value declaration.

You should request to fully declare the proper value of your shipped item.

Why?

1. Insurance. Insurance only covers the declared value. If something bad happens like the parcel gets damaged/ lost you are screwed unless the full value was declared.

2. Legal. it is against the law to falsify information, you don't want to mess with Canada Customs. Canada Customs can FORCE you to provide proof of purchase before they release your item, especially if they open it to inspect and find something they know is worth more than declared value.

I think that item #1 here is a valid point, unless practically all of the international items one receives are delivered in undamaged condition, and it seems worth the gamble to have it declared for less.

AFA item 2, it's no skin off the sellers nose to under-declare valuation to another country, and the buyer isn't lying; he didn't declare the value. Additionally, do you really think the customs agents would be able to discern the value of any particular old comic book, given that condition, a subjective determination unless slabbed, could be argued and is a major determination of value?

You seem to be getting admonished from some board members because you are trying to *gasp* do something illegal. Screw 'em, it's your hard-earned money; if they wanna be such goodie-goodies, let them send you the difference to pay the higher customs rate (bet you get no takers).

It's also unethical -- you're asking somebody to deliberately lie on a form. Many people who enter a transaction are uncomfortable being asked to lie as part of the transaction. Even if it's considered an inconsequential lie (to some), it's still lying, and believe it or not there are people who try to go through life being honest in their words and deeds. I don't think that makes anybody a "goodie-goodie" (shouldn't that term have been retired from your vocabulary when you were a teenager?), it just means they prefer to be able to walk away from a transaction without feeling they've compromised themselves somehow.

Yes, sorry for the somewhat harsh term. As the OP stated though, he asks, some sellers agree, some don't. Never hurts to ask.

Good discussion here!

I almost posted the exact same thing as RMA. lol

<3

cool, so you'll delete this thread?

Threads can be deleted? Sure... how?

You can't really delete it now since so many people have posted. You could change the thread title, but all it would do is attract the vultures to the thread.

At this point, I'd just let it take its course. Just don't respond and get defensive as it just further feeds the vultures.

<3

A sure sign of the impending Apocalypse. Hey, we should all post in spoilers now.

You're a bad influence, you terrible man.

<3

A sure sign of the impending Apocalypse. Hey, we should all post in spoilers now.

You're a bad influence, you terrible man.

BAN HIM! BAN THE WITCH!!!

If Americans had to pay a tax duty anytime we bought something you might hear a different tune more sympathetic to your pov.

But as righteous individuals we only think it's ok to cheat on taxes with which we might happen to disagree (and frankly Canadian/UK extortionate customs duties aren't high on the list).

If Americans had to pay a tax duty anytime we bought something you might hear a different tune more sympathetic to your pov.

But as righteous individuals we only think it's ok to cheat on taxes with which we might happen to disagree (and frankly Canadian/UK extortionate customs duties aren't high on the list).

That's a bad argument. Every nation has its benefits and shortfalls of citizenship. If you don't like something about the law, the proper thing to do is work to change it, not disregard it because you don't agree with it.

I guess NAFTA only works one way. Free trade was supposed help the lesser communities. Despite all the promises, the last I heard, the poor people are still poor and the rich people are richer.

I admit, I don't understand the concept of tax on personal goods.

That's a bad argument. Every nation has its benefits and shortfalls of citizenship. If you don't like something about the law, the proper thing to do is work to change it, not disregard it because you don't agree with it.

To be fair, his argument seems to be that perhaps American sellers would be more sympathetic to the request, whether that means a willingness to do it or not, rather than a suggestion that American sellers should in fact be more sympathetic, or that Canadians should actively avoid taxes they don't agree with. As a general, human-nature type observation, he makes a valid point.