• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 24-27, 2017
2 2

371 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ze-man said:

So there it is , my  "it's a small world story" of the day. And the funny part is, that's only half the story of my meeting Stuart that day.   The other half was equally amazing, and completely unexpected by Stuart. But even longer to type out!

To further narrow the "small world" aspect even more, myself and two of the other boardies at the dinner: @Batmanderson and @comicquant are also from Indy and went to Pike.  CC was the first shop I went to on the weekends in the early 80s, and I was at opening day at the West Side location off of High School Rd.  

Edited by Shaolingoat

IIRC it was Doc Watson who first noticed Saygers work out of our group. Needless to say I now have dozens of sketch covers and commissions from him. Great talent, but a much nicer guy you won't find. 

43 minutes ago, Shaolingoat said:

To further narrow the "small world" aspect even more, myself and two of the other boardies at the dinner: @Batmanderson and @comicquant are also from Indy and went to Pike.  CC was the first shop I went to on the weekends in the early 80s, and I was at opening day at the West Side location off of High School Rd.  

We spent so much time in the high school road store.  Now I take my 4.5 yr old to the Comic Carnival over on Keystone a couple of times a month.  Before moving out to Eagle Creek I lived on the corner of Buckingham and Sunset...  Sounds a bit detailed but I think anyone who went to Broad Ripple HS would know where that is.  

Edited by comicquant

21 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Yeah, but do you guys remember Andy Ash's westside place over by the Ensley's par-3 golf course on 56th street?  Are you legit old school westside comic collectors, or just poseurs?

You mean Rangeline Comics? I grew up at 59th & Georgetown--used to ride my bike to that store twice a week. 

The other good store was the one just east of the track in Speedway.  My dad's law office was just down the street so we used to go there periodically as well.

Edited by Shaolingoat

On 8/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, october said:

My WWC was 10x better than my C2E2...which sucked. 

As always, it's more about what dealers you hit when, and what number in line you are. The difference between an epic show, a mediocre show and a terrible show is pretty slim. I watched the first dealer at a guy's booth walk away with $5k plus in great books. The next guy? $300-400. Me? $60. That kind of thing can make or break a show for buying, and it's really more luck of the draw than anything else. 

There were tons of deals in the room, you just had to be one of the first to see them. 

Exactly.

6 minutes ago, Shaolingoat said:

You mean Rangeline Comics? I grew up 59th & Georgetown--used to ride my bike to that store twice a week. 

The other good store was the one just east of the track in Speedway.  My dad's law office was just down the street so we used to go there periodically as well.

Yep! I couldn't remember if it was always RangeLine or if it was something before that.

Just now, seanfingh said:

Yep! I couldn't remember if it was always RangeLine or if it was something before that.

Andy opened the first comic store in that strip center when I was in fourth grade, then sold it to another owner in the early 90s if I remember correctly.  

There used to be a Linder's and a Roselyn Bakery right next to it.  Could get your sugar and comic fix in the same place.

20 minutes ago, Shaolingoat said:

Andy opened the first comic store in that strip center when I was in fourth grade, then sold it to another owner in the early 90s if I remember correctly.  

There used to be a Linder's and a Roselyn Bakery right next to it.  Could get your sugar and comic fix in the same place.

I still have books with stickers from Blue Moon Comics on W. 10th Street.  That guy had another store before and he had more $1.00 Bronze than you could shake a stick at in the early-mid 90's

Just now, seanfingh said:

I still have books with stickers from Blue Moon Comics on W. 10th Street.  That guy had another store before and he had more $1.00 Bronze than you could shake a stick at in the early-mid 90's

The one in Speedway was Comics Unlimited maybe? I bought a high grade Avengers #4 there one summer in the mid 80's for like $85.  Sold that collection my first year in med school, and will always regret it.

15 minutes ago, Shaolingoat said:

The one in Speedway was Comics Unlimited maybe? I bought a high grade Avengers #4 there one summer in the mid 80's for like $85.  Sold that collection my first year in med school, and will always regret it.

Yes. Comics Unlimited! He had a Showcase 22 that was the first one I ever saw (around 1984)  I think it was $200 and it might as well have been $1,000,000. But man did I think that book was cool.

2 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Yes. Comics Unlimited! He had a Showcase 22 that was the first one I ever saw (around 1984)  I think it was $200 and it might as well have been $1,000,000. But man did I think that book was cool.

They always had a great selection of wall books.  There was another hole in the wall place downtown on East Washington called Books Unlimited (right next to a used car lot) where you could find some decent SA runs sometimes too.

4 minutes ago, Shaolingoat said:

They always had a great selection of wall books.  There was another hole in the wall place downtown on East Washington called Books Unlimited (right next to a used car lot) where you could find some decent SA runs sometimes too.

I bought a Flash 167 there that ended up in a 9.4 slab. But lest you think me a genius, I also bought all 8-10 of his Flash #1s from 1987 at $7 a piece