• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I Restore It?

13 posts in this topic

All this talk of restoration has got me thinking about sending this book in for an overhaul. Other than replacing or cleaning the staples and patching the front cover the rest of the book is in decent shape. The interior pages are solid. Any idea what the ball park cost would be?

MMC4.jpg

All this talk of restoration has got me thinking about sending this book in for an overhaul. Other than replacing or cleaning the staples and patching the front cover the rest of the book is in decent shape. The interior pages are solid. Any idea what the ball park cost would be?

MMC4.jpg

Interior pages are solid? They look pretty rough to me. I don't know about this one, that's a whole lot of the bottom of the front cover that would have to be re-created. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd say absolutely get some quotes for restoration. I always cringe when I see GA books it Blue Holders in the 1.0 to 1.8 range. Have the bloody book professionally restored so that it will be conserved and not deteriorate further. makepoint.gif When they have deteriorated that far yet are Key GA books, the restoration is being done in the best interest of the actual comic book.

Go check out Matt Nelson's site. IIRC he has prices with some of the work he's done.

Just based on my experience I would say you are looking at $600 - $1000. If that book's not for your personal collection I'd not do it. It would be hard to recoop that much anytime soon.

Jbud says "Have the bloody book professionally restored so that it will be conserved and not deteriorate further"

Stronguy says - "Just based on my experience I would say you are looking at $600 - $1000. If that book's not for your personal collection I'd not do it."

My opinion? A balance between these two may be in order. Reproducing the missing lower part of the book would probably be the most expensive part of the restoration. But it would not contribute to the stability of the book. But getting the structural defects - a cleaning, pressing, tears sealed etc. would cost less and help maintian the integrity of the book.

I feel the book could be made to look quite good with the above-mentioned processes. But also a bit weird with the lower part of the cover missing.

So bottom line? Get quotes on both including and excluding the lower cover reproduction. (Hey - maybe the restorer has a piece of that bottom cover in their supplies in whch case they could more easily meld the two.) And decide if you are interested in purely stabilizing the book, both stabilizing the book and increasing the aeasthetic with a lower cover recreation, and make your decision form there.

If you ultimately decide on some form of restoration PLEASE let us see after scans. To my eye, if the lower cover were intact but showing the same wear, this is an ideal resto candidate. smile.gif

Jbud says "Have the bloody book professionally restored so that it will be conserved and not deteriorate further"

Stronguy says - "Just based on my experience I would say you are looking at $600 - $1000. If that book's not for your personal collection I'd not do it."

My opinion? A balance between these two may be in order. Reproducing the missing lower part of the book would probably be the most expensive part of the restoration. But it would not contribute to the stability of the book. But getting the structural defects - a cleaning, pressing, tears sealed etc. would cost less and help maintian the integrity of the book.

If he could get a front cover to MM4 to use as spare parts, it would make the job MUCH cheaper.

If he could get a front cover to MM4 to use as spare parts, it would make the job MUCH cheaper.

lol Scott you made me question myself for a few there! As I said " (Hey - maybe the restorer has a piece of that bottom cover in their supplies in whch case they could more easily meld the two.)" so I sau we be in agreement on this! grin.gif

lol Scott you made me question myself for a few there! As I said " (Hey - maybe the restorer has a piece of that bottom cover in their supplies in whch case they could more easily meld the two.)" so I sau we be in agreement on this! grin.gif

27_laughing.gif It's late and I totally missed that you had said that. foreheadslap.gif Sorry Michael! hi.gif

It's late and I totally missed that you had said that. Sorry Michael!

It IS late. I have been replacing my manager in work all week and will do so all next week. His job is a time and a hlaf normal job. Add that to my time and a hald tech lead and I am and have been totally zonked this week!

I hear what you say! hi.gif

MMC4.jpg

Enjoy your book as you have it now,....the cost to restore it will be greater than the return.

hi.gif