• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch noted on blue label?

24 posts in this topic

The back story is that a lot of high-priced Church and other pedigree books had had a bit of color touch or a spine split sealed with a spot of glue. When CGC was starting up, some prominent dealers and collectors made it clear that putting these books in restored slabs was a non-starter for them.

Once CGC allowed those books to have blue labels, they pretty much had to extend the policy to other GA books, which they did.

That is part of it.

The other part is that if there is a dot of color touch or glue, but it doesn't actually increase the actual grade of the book then the book is not actually 'restored' as the grade doesn't improve.

In cases like this the dot of color touch or glue is noted in the grading notes, on the label, and is counted as a defect and downgraded because of it.

If the glue or color touch actually increases the grade then the book goes into a restored holder and the book is given the apparent grade.

It's actually not such a bad thing and an elegant solution IMO.

The back story is that a lot of high-priced Church and other pedigree books had had a bit of color touch or a spine split sealed with a spot of glue. When CGC was starting up, some prominent dealers and collectors made it clear that putting these books in restored slabs was a non-starter for them.

Once CGC allowed those books to have blue labels, they pretty much had to extend the policy to other GA books, which they did.

That is part of it.

The other part is that if there is a dot of color touch or glue, but it doesn't actually increase the actual grade of the book then the book is not actually 'restored' as the grade doesn't improve.

In cases like this the dot of color touch or glue is noted in the grading notes, on the label, and is counted as a defect and downgraded because of it.

If the glue or color touch actually increases the grade then the book goes into a restored holder and the book is given the apparent grade.

I never heard that explanation before. What you are saying is... If the CT is actually covering

a defect but the grade would not change in the absence of the defect, it is not considered restored. Sorry, but I don't think so. Maybe Bradley can back on and comment.

Bradley...... :baiting:

That is part of it.

I never heard that explanation before. What you are saying is... If the CT is actually covering

a defect but the grade would not change in the absence of the defect, it is not considered restored. Sorry, but I don't think so.

Correct.

That's based on my experience.

I owned a very controversial book from Rosen Marninberg's Detroit Trolley find (the Marvel Mystery #5) and researched it heavily at the time. The book had a controversial dot of color touch and that was basically the answer that I got.