• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko chewed me out

105 posts in this topic

Reading through all this, I'll take the OP's word that he may not have known much about Ditko and was just writing a simple fan letter. But what did he hope to accomplish by posting the letter and starting threads (both here and on Comicart-L), if not to cast Ditko in a negative light, and portray himself as some sort of victim?

That's where he loses me. I have more empathy for a cranky old guy, than an overly sensitive, entitled fan. If you write Ditko a letter, you are not entitled to a reply. If you do get a reply, you are not entitled to warm fuzzies. My advice is not to write any more fan letters. You're better off just enjoying the work, and avoiding personal interactions. Especially if your feelings are easily bruised. I learned that a long time ago. 2c

This all day long. I don't begrudge the OP for sending the letter. Even if the question about Kirby was asked innocently, the OP hit essentially the third rail of questions to ask the man. But the shouting it from the roof tops "Aw shucks, Steve Ditko's mad," was just a tad naive.

Even 5 seconds of Googling will show that this is a hugely contentious issue about one of the biggest superheroes ever created. What a shock the guy with a hand in that might have some strong opinions.

Thanking Ditko is one thing, poking the badger...eh...

I didn't get the feeling OP's feelings were hurt more like he was bemused by the letter and wanted to share it. I don't feel it puts Ditko in a bad light. This is the Ditko we all know and respect.

In the OP's own words, Ditko "chewed him out" and he was not a "happy camper" as a result. The exchange of letters was a private correspondence. The OP chose to make it public. Only he knows why. From the outside, it looks like he wanted to show how he got unjustifiably "chewed out" for writing a nice letter. From my perspective, if that was a "chewing out", then he should be glad he didn't grow up in my family! If the OP didn't say he was originally from New York(!!!), I would have guessed Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

And this may be the Ditko that *some* know and respect, but that would not appear to include the OP.

I didn't get the feeling OP's feelings were hurt more like he was bemused by the letter and wanted to share it. I don't feel it puts Ditko in a bad light. This is the Ditko we all know and respect.

In the OP's own words, Ditko "chewed him out" and he was not a "happy camper" as a result. The exchange of letters was a private correspondence. The OP chose to make it public. Only he knows why. From the outside, it looks like he wanted to show how he got unjustifiably "chewed out" for writing a nice letter. From my perspective, if that was a "chewing out", then he should be glad he didn't grow up in my family! If the OP didn't say he was originally from New York(!!!), I would have guessed Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

And this may be the Ditko that *some* know and respect, but that would not appear to include the OP.

Hi Felix. If you really want to know why I put that letter up in my gallery give me a call on the phone. I'm just not having any success getting my intentions across on this thread or the internet in general. My number is the same. If you don't have it anymore just pop in on chat tonight. I'll give it to you there.

My advice is not to write any more fan letters. You're better off just enjoying the work, and avoiding personal interactions.

"One should never meet a person whose work one admires;

What they do is always so much better than what they are!

Toulouse-Lautrec

My advice is not to write any more fan letters. You're better off just enjoying the work, and avoiding personal interactions.

"One should never meet a person whose work one admires;

What they do is always so much better than what they are!

Toulouse-Lautrec

............thats not the case With John Romita Sr. (and many many other artists obviously) But I do see your point.