• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko chewed me out

105 posts in this topic

I thought that was a nicely worded letter. Hell, I bet its one of few creators get that is only asking for answers instead of free art / commissions.

Then again, maybe Ditko and the people that think you are out to get him are reading a different English than I am...

So in your English, what did the OP have to gain by making his story public other than trying to garner sympathy for himself while casting Mr. Ditko in a negative light?

I don't think the OP was "out to get" Mr. Ditko or anything but posting his correspondence is bad form. The OP appears to feel entitled to a warm and fuzzy experience with Mr. Ditko without any consideration Mr. Ditko's possible feelings on the subject.

It isn't hard to see in any language.

(In re-reading this it appears much more harsh than I intended. Maybe I should be Bird Ditko!)

I don't think there was any angle to 'gain sympathy'

This is a board to discuss comics in all their form and it seemed like a relevant topic.

It could have been handled without posting the letter but I don't doubt that people would have asked to see the actual letter rather than the OP's summary.

I don't see that Ditko was traumatized by the letter - that there is come 'consideration' to be had; he took the time to respond and he did not need to. How do you know someones feelings without asking?

I agree with the OP, I would not google "How will Ditko respond if I send him a letter?" prior to sending a nice fan letter.

Regardless its always interesting to see the difference of opinions here!

I've seen quite a few threads about people talking about interactions with artists not in a flattering way. I don't remember anyone accusing them of being out for sympathy. Seems like a relevant topic on a comic forum.

I thought putting the letter up was a questionable decision and I'm glad the OP took it down. I accept his explanation of why he wrote the letter. But I'm not so sure that if someone told you Ditko could be abrupt they didn't also tell you he isn't interested in answering questions like those. And I just don't understand why private correspondence is something you'd post without the author's permission. That's not okay.

As far as why Ditko wrote back, he seems to live by a set of beliefs I might not entirely understand, but I respect. There are other letters like this on CAF and in the aggregate he seems to feel that questions about the past are like kids poking a stick under a rock to see if they can annoy whatever's living down there. But -- he answers them. Maybe he was brought up by his parents to answer mail. Maybe he feels answering letters that ask questions is polite. Maybe he was hoping someone would call him a rude has been who hasn't learned basic manners. If so, congratulations to the OP for making his dreams come true.

He doesn't answer all letters Glen-the one I sent I made a point about the valuable history he created. He shunned me for that one.

He doesn't answer all letters Glen-the one I sent I made a point about the valuable history he created. He shunned me for that one.

Really? Who knows why he shunned you? Only Steve does. Maybe the letter got lost in the mail? Thus maybe no shunning after all lol .

Pretty sure he shunned me. I wrote everything he hates except mentioning stan lee.....

Oh. I assumed there was some other content in there. Heh. So why? Were you just poking the bear with a stick to see what would happen or unaware of his likely feelings on the subjects at the time you wrote?

No I was aware he hated spider man and stan lee so I steered clear but I didn't know he was anti-history.

Ok getting ready to send-here's my draft:

Dear Mr Ditko:

It really annoys me when people keep re hashing the old days of comic creation. Who cares? It is irerelevant. Another thing that annoys me is people buying/selling original art. These were merely pieces drawn for payment to produce a comic book that people shouldn't even care about any more. Plus, most of those old pages were stolen. I wish people would just focus on the future and what comes next. Another thing that really bothers me is people getting comic books signed. These are comic books not a home run ball! On the one hand they downgrade a book if someone writes on it then they spend big bucks to have someone write on it! And by someone I mean Stan Lee. Man he sucks. But I'm not gonna talk about him because that is THE PAST.

-No one (my name is irrelevant)

Kav, you must prepare and send this letter! You may then be the only person who gets invited to lunch by Ditko!! (thumbs u

I have to say, to me the thread title is hyperbole.

What I read in Ditko's letter comes across as short, matter of fact, and possibly even some good advice depending on one's mindset. For sure a dash of underlined sarcasm.

Could it have been filled wth more pleasantries? Could he have been more accommodating? Certainly. But from where I sit, he was primarily matter of fact, and took time out of his life to let you know the facts as he sees them, even a tad frustrated. Clearly not a sentimental guy, but based one what I would see as chewing someone out, this aint that.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... One could however see your posting your private/personal conversation with him on mulitiple public places on the net as a type of reprimand of him.

I've seen much more strongly written letters from Ditko. If anything I would say his response to you in comparison was pretty no-nonsense and nothing more. He's definitely let some others have it.

Call me a cynic, but anyone aware enough of Ditko that's read anything about him, knows his stance on the topics in your letter to him, and I would have thought anyone sending him such a letter as yours in this day and age was on a fishing expedition for just such a response from him. But like I said, I'm cynical that way.

So...you're saying that PERSPECTIVE determines how someone will read what someone else is saying....?

hm

hm hm

Reading through all this, I'll take the OP's word that he may not have known much about Ditko and was just writing a simple fan letter. But what did he hope to accomplish by posting the letter and starting threads (both here and on Comicart-L), if not to cast Ditko in a negative light, and portray himself as some sort of victim?

That's where he loses me. I have more empathy for a cranky old guy, than an overly sensitive, entitled fan. If you write Ditko a letter, you are not entitled to a reply. If you do get a reply, you are not entitled to warm fuzzies. My advice is not to write any more fan letters. You're better off just enjoying the work, and avoiding personal interactions. Especially if your feelings are easily bruised. I learned that a long time ago. 2c

In the 80-90s I used to request autographs by mail. Steve Ditko was one I had considered but never tried. Many collectors said that Steve Ditko doesn't personally reply to these letters. Has anyone here compared these signatures by mail with a known authentic example?

I didn't get the feeling OP's feelings were hurt more like he was bemused by the letter and wanted to share it. I don't feel it puts Ditko in a bad light. This is the Ditko we all know and respect.