• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sin City Review

2 posts in this topic

The most I ever read of Sin City was two pages when I was flipping through one of the graphic novels at the LCS. That said, even I could tell R. Rodriguez stays closer to the source than an Islamic Militant stays to the Koran.

Partnered with Frank Miller, and for one scene Quentin Tarantino, Rodriguez gives the audience a comic book truly brought to life. This goes far beyond the panel shots in the Hulk movie. The deep blacks, the bright whites, the style of pulp/noir dramatic dialogue is all there. The characters are even posed on screen like Miller drew the characters in the novels.

Comic fans will like and love this movie, it is comicdom's version of Pulp Fiction. Many others will laugh at the over the top action, others will be disgusted with the violence and sexuality they find in a movie called Sin City, and still others (those with ADD) will get tired of the look of the movie. I don't think there is anything to get tired of, it is a black and white film, with color added on cars, shoes, clothes and other such things to add elements of style. Many other films have done this, but Sin City takes it to a new and improved level with the richness of the CGI blacks and whites.

Now aside from the style, which is the primary thing the audience is supposed to dig, there is the story and the characters. There are several different stories, very loosely connected that introduce us to the characters of Marv, Dwight, and Hartigan. The characters are murderers, or at best, killers, if you can find the difference. They are the heroes in Basin City because unlike most of the people around them, they use the vices and sin of the city unlike the others that live because of it, and are controlled by it.

These three know that this city is hell, that they are damned already, but there is still work to be done, and street justice is still justice. This is especially true with Hartigan in his story. You know that he would do anything if it meant one innocent soul didn't have to suffer the vice of Sin City. So beyond the look and style, the story is there in its overly dramatic noir form. It is great, and comic fans will eat it up.