• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just how thoroughly can CGC check interiors?

41 posts in this topic

I was reading a book where someone had used a black pen to turn several of the the T's into I's. Would CGC catch something like this? It was carefully done and you would have to read the book to catch it. How thoroughly can CGC realistically examine the interiors? Like someone could blacken in buttons on a coat. Or give some guy in the background sunglasses by blacking in his glasses.

This... sounds like a good experiment. Purchase 6 of the same moderns. In three do some light interior changes (such as you suggested, change I's to Ts etc) making sure it is all the same. In the other 3 do some heavy interior changes that should be obvious. Color in with a same colored color pencil on a single panel etc. Then send 1 of each set to each of the three major grading houses and see who catches what and what they grade out as.

I just can't see anyone catching this stuff. As I said you would have to read the book and examine every panel, sometimes comparing with another book-or using a black light. I just don't see that happening.

But yeah an experiment like that could cause a ruckus.

Smart money would be on some of this slipping through CGC unless they had some tech they use on every single page that detects any deviation from the ink on the pages vs. pen etc.

I suppose they can use some methods that they have to detect CT on the cover but for every single page on every single book I would think there would be a logjam of books and TATs would go through the roof.

So realistically speaking there have to be 9.8's with moustaches inside.

This... sounds like a good experiment. Purchase 6 of the same moderns. In three do some light interior changes (such as you suggested, change I's to Ts etc) making sure it is all the same. In the other 3 do some heavy interior changes that should be obvious. Color in with a same colored color pencil on a single panel etc. Then send 1 of each set to each of the three major grading houses and see who catches what and what they grade out as.

hm

hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm

hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm you

hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm hm you

So funny that you have not figured out what it means yet.

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez:

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: Kav

That is funny.

When you do figure it out - know that it was originally meant as innocent fun... because I thought you would have immediately gotten it...

:ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: Kav

thx buzz I know it's all in good fun. I'm gonna crack this baby.

That is funny.

When you do figure it out - know that it was originally meant as innocent fun... because I thought you would have immediately gotten it...

I'm glad people rather just attack my integrity and put my posting under a microscope while demeaning my intelligence while telling me I am condescending.

This is way too cryptic lol

In the near future, all CGC graders will be equipped with AR (augmented reality) glasses so that while the grader does a page count, each interior page is perspective-matched against a big-data archive of every comic book ever published. A high-capacity CPU will immediately detect any variations between the database and the comic panels being observed, and a warning light will flicker in the grader's field of vision, followed by a linear highlight that explicitly displays the exact area of alteration or shading between the authenticated digital archive and the compromised physical page. Such advances in CGC grading methodology are made possible by machine-learning algorithms and multi-core processing so powerful it can fit the computing power that put a man on the moon into an area tinier than a pimple on the posterior of the runt in a litter of malnourished mole rats.

I just can't see anyone catching this stuff. As I said you would have to read the book and examine every panel, sometimes comparing with another book-or using a black light. I just don't see that happening.

But yeah an experiment like that could cause a ruckus.

Oh Lordy! There are a lot of "experiments" that could be done that would cause tectonic-sized ruckus!

Shhh.... don't even THINK about the ruckus from "experimenting" with SS! :ohnoez: