• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barcode Scanner -- Quick Question About Product Availability

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a piece of equipment that will accurately scan comic book barcodes and return the correct series, issue #, variant, etc., etc.,

I've read that some are capable of grabbing the first 13 numbers (EAN) but don't catch the last 5 (UPC).

My knowledge is limited in this area -- if anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I use my phone. There's a few scanners for smartphones that can read that whole barcode. But if you're looking for some sort of database integration beyond something homebrewed or whatever, I don't know. But I just use the CLZ app for my inventory/collection record keeping & their app works with the camera on your phone to read it.

I have a laser barcode scanner from ComicBase. It's both hands-free and hand held.

It works with most barcode formats including UPC, EAN, ISBN, Code 3 of 9. I use it with the ComicBase software. Not sure if it will work outside ComicBase.

Phil

Does it update fairly regularly? For instance, if a book comes out will it be "scannable" day of?

Also wondering if it does a good job finding rare independent variants.

I use the CLZ phone app for scanning right now, but it doesn't find some independents.