• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age hulk 1-6 underpriced?

24 posts in this topic

do you guys think that the early issues of hulk are underpriced ? Especially when looking at the census ,there are not to many high grade issues.

Also do you think that VF issues should be higher priced due to the fact that NM copies are extra hard to come by?

Take for instance hulk #4 there are only 14 issues seperating 8.0 to 9.4........not including the only 10 issues graded 8.0 look at the sensus and give your opinion.

All of the pre-1963 Marvel superhero books are underpriced, including Fantastic Four, Journey Into Mystery, Hulk, etc. I can barely find any of them that came out prior to the release of Amazing Spider-Man #1, which is the first Marvel Silver superhero book that seems to have either been printed in larger quantities or hoarded in larger quantities.

Don't put too much reliance in the CGC census, there are many more copies out there than some people think.

The market dictates the price of a comic book and Overstreet reflects that. If prices are lower in comparison to other rarer early silver books then the demand is not as high. People that claim books are undervalued are not taking into account the lower demand for them. These Hulk books have been around for over 40 years, so don't expect any huge jumps in price now.

Sorry Pimpy, but JIM suffers from the same low demand. All collectors cannot have as fine a taste in comic books as us. grin.gif

some members would like to say no that they don't think a movie will drive prices up, e.g.batman sequels. i'd like to beg to differ, i think the prices do heat up due to speculation and interests, the prices have already been heating up steadily on hulk in the last few months. i sold a hulk 102 CGC VF 8.0 with a BIN price of $249.99 last month. smile.gif

I think the movie will certainly have an impact on the early hulks and Key issues. The Spider-man and Daredevil movies are a great example of how a movie can cause an instant demand for these books. What's not clear is how long after the trend will last, in other words will the books soar in price and then a year from now when the movie is long since gone will they find down arrows next to their issue numbers in the price guide.

The market dictates the price of a comic book and Overstreet reflects that. If prices are lower in comparison to other rarer early silver books then the demand is not as high. People that claim books are undervalued are not taking into account the lower demand for them.
...so how does the fact that 9.0s go for 1.5x to 3x Overstreet, 9.2s go for 2x to 5x, and 9.4s go for 5x on up for pre-Spidey Marvel superhero titles affect that observation? The prices being paid contradicts your point.

Demand is lower for those titles than for Spidey, but the supply is so much lower that the prices are high, hence the undervaluing in Overstreet. Try throwing a 9.0 or better copy of Hulk 6, Journey 85, Fantastic Four 13, etc, on E-Bay and watch the Overstreet prices fly out the window.

Pimpy,

Incredible $249 price on that Hulk 102. 2 yrs ago, u would have to almost force someone buy a Hulk 102 in vf or vf+. Last 1 I sold went for $100 & I was lucky to get that. The only harder 1968 bk to sell has to be Iron Man & Sub 1. Too many of them out there, but wait til they finalize an Iron Man or Subby movie. Then massive hype & speculation on a refound key. shocked.gif

hulk 1 is greatly underpriced and Spidey 1 is greatly overpriced by Overstreet. Only at the zenith of Spidey movie mania did #1 cgc 9.0 bring close to guide and I never remember it going over guide in 9.0. On the other hand Hulk 1 in any grade has and will do better tha guide. I bet a 9.0 right now wopuld bring no less than $25,000. #2 is also popular and under priced but 3 and 4 usually don't do as well - not great covers or stories and can usually be had for less than guide in 9.0. #6 is popular for many reasons - Ditko, last issue, freaky color covers. I had to pay $2700 for a nice 9.0. You still have to ride the spec wave to make money on any of this stuff though if it is your goal to be a spec. Right now the wave is building for Hulk and X-men but still not too late to find some deals.

Try throwing a 9.0 or better copy of Hulk 6, Journey 85, Fantastic Four 13, etc, on E-Bay and watch the Overstreet prices fly out the window.

James, I was being slightly flipant with my earlier comment. It probably does apply pretty well to any grades below 8.5 though.

But most serious collectors realise that Overstreet has long been way off the mark in valuing true high grade early Silver and Golden age books.

Hulk #1 Beautiful cover but I think people forget that this issue had risen dramatically for 3-4 years straight even before CGC came out. In fact the year I bought my copy the next year the price dropped $1,000. Before the benefit of the movie I had very rarely gotten a call for this book. There were 3 9.0's on the market for a long time.

Hulk #2 Come on, the Toad men? I agree it's a tough issue but something about frogs and the Hulk are making me scratch my head.

Hulk #3 - Rivals #2 as being the toughest of the six to get. Probably one of the better covers in my opinion but then again it's my opinion.

Hulk #4/5 - Common, common and more common, non keys with covers that don't actually cry out "buy me". If a dealer has a high grade issue it's generally the 4 or 5. I'm still scratching my head on how or why these two climbed to $1800 apiece.

Hulk #6 - Overvalued and a crappy cover to boot. Let's call him Stumpy Hulk why don't we. Why exactly does overstreet list the introduction of the Teen Brigade and why do I care about them?

Sorry, I don't share in the undervalued theme and unfortunately I am out there trying to buy these issues for collectors who need them. Issues #1-6 are one of the few runs that I feel is fully valued in NM guide in overstreet. If you are buying this run you better LOVE the hulk. If you buying this title as a speculator you better LOVE the hulk.