• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to Golden Age - Need some Batman Pointers

27 posts in this topic

Been buying silver and bronze age keys for a bit and know my way around in those ages - but I have an itch to buy some golden age Batman (and Superman at some point (future purchase will be an Action 23 and hopefully a Tec 168)).

I want to start small (no more than $1,400) for the first golden age book - so I guess I need some help on where to start for a minor Batman key. A couple I am considering/interested in are: Batman 4, Tec 40 and 48 (kind of leaning towards Batman 4 - as I love the cover and like the idea of the "first" mention of Gotham City - but part of me thinks a Tec is the way to go). SO any help/recommendations on "minor" key issues that are still relatively affordable would be great :)

I am okay with restored (provided no trimming) and am thinking low grade (CGC 0.5-2.0).

the best advice I can give is to be patient, check out the gpa values, jot down different price points in last 2 years or so. Track the prices of current auctions etc. wait till you see a deal or atleast where you think it's priced. They do come, just got to have the money ready and have the knowledge to pull trigger. Good luck into a whole new dimension of comic collecting

A 3.5 Batman 11 sold this month for $1730. So I think a 2.0 is very possible for under $1400.
must have missed it

I sold a 2.0 for 2k recently

Keep in mind my 2.0 looked like a 5.0 so it went for a premium vs maybe a 3.0 with the chip and sun shadow edge.

it's such a great book , but prices seems to fluctuate.

A 3.5 Batman 11 sold this month for $1730. So I think a 2.0 is very possible for under $1400.

I was fortunate enough to win that Batman 11. Was very surprised to get it that low. Had a much higher bid in.

That said, I've been the under bidder on a seemingly endless stream of books. Timely's advice is spot on though...keep looking for deals and they'll come around. Just make sure you have cash when something comes up.

You could say that might be the biggest difference between Golden Age vs Silver and Bronze Bat-books...you can always find Silver and Bronze keys, but many Golden keys just aren't out there on the open market. Thus patience becomes a critical aspect of Golden Age collecting in a way that just doesn't broadly apply to later ages.

I was fortunate enough to win that Batman 11. Was very surprised to get it that low. Had a much higher bid in.

That said, I've been the under bidder on a seemingly endless stream of books. Timely's advice is spot on though...keep looking for deals and they'll come around. Just make sure you have cash when something comes up.

You could say that might be the biggest difference between Golden Age vs Silver and Bronze Bat-books...you can always find Silver and Bronze keys, but many Golden keys just aren't out there on the open market. Thus patience becomes a critical aspect of Golden Age collecting in a way that just doesn't broadly apply to later ages.

That is what appeals to me about getting into golden age books - silver age keys are just too easy (especially MArvel - hence why I try to focus on DC keys, because they are tougher to track down) - the thrill of the search is sometimes as good as getting the book :)

Thanks for the tips on a few early keys - I get the appeal of Batman 11, but would much rather have a Batman 4, for some reason I really like that book (maybe the red cover with the moon), so maybe that should be my focus. Not sure if it is possible in my price range though - although I would assume so, especially if I am willing to consider restored.

Although I still feel some weird desire to own a golden age Tec over a golden age Batman title (same thing with Action Comics over Superman Comics - even though the cover to Superman 24 is just so great - but then again Action 20 :luhv: )

Most early bats are easy to find. So as others have said, be patient.

Detective is definitely a more appealing title. Many issues from 41 onward can be had in low grade for your price range.

Thanks for all the tips guys - I will be patient, well as patient as I can be :) But if anyone sees a nice presenting Batman #4 let me know (thumbs u

Now just to figure out which Tecs to target :) (i.e., the awesome ones above #41).

Sorry, was not noticing it was thru mycomicshop- last time I messed up trying to go through there trying to get a jim 83 2.0 R for $900 to save the money and someone was literally a minute quicker... Next time!