• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Remove That @#$%&! Scotch Tape From a Mylar Bag

39 posts in this topic

People are always asking me “Dick! How do you remove that @#$%&! Scotch tape from a Mylar bag?” So today I’m going to tell you how to remove that @#$%&! Scotch tape from a Mylar bag, in a brief and hopefully enlightening tutorial.

Here’s the scenario: It’s a long, holiday weekend. You’ve woken up shortly after dawn before the rest of the house. Hot coffee in hand, you’re eager to read one of those Silver Age Marvel comic books you like so much in the early morning peace and quiet. So, you creep down to the comic room and pull the next FF on your to-read list out.

FF81.jpg

Oh happy day! A high-grade copy of Fantastic Four #81. It still practically gleams in that shiny Mylite +2, after being put there years ago!

Damn! It was bagged years ago when you first switched to Mylar, before you knew Scotch tape practically bonded itself to the surface.

Tape1.jpg

When trying to open the flap, often the tape splits right on the edge leaving you with a time-consuming peeling and scraping job that usually still results in small pieces of tape stuck on the bag.

Tape2.jpg

Or, if you choose not to try and peel, you’re left with the option of putting another piece of tape over the existing tape, making an unsightly mess or perhaps enough of a raised surface to make an indent on the cover of the book stored behind it in the box.

Rats!

More%20Pout.jpg

What to do? In Japan, the hands can be used like a knife, but this method doesn’t work with a Mylar. After spending many long nights in the Pontoon Lab with space-age polymers, we’ve discovered the amazing solution – the common ball point pen!

First and foremost, you want a pen that is evenly cylindrical and not tapered, and one that has a smooth surface without any indentations or ridges. Your basic white barreled Bic Stic or equivalent is the tool to use. Don’t use a pencil; the majority are hexagonal but even the rounded ones can be problematical as the tape might stick to the paint, pull it off and not turn properly.

bic-round-stic.jpg

Step #2

Holding the pen between your index finger and thumb, gently spin it counter-clockwise. It should roll along under the flap and tape, evenly lifting the tape as you roll.

Tape3.jpg

What to do when you’re ready to put your funnybook away and seal the bag? There are 3 schools of thought: use blue painters tape, 3M Post-It Flags or tuck the flap in. I’m a painter’s tape kind of guy while lizards2 is an outspoken advocate of Flags.

Class dismissed! Best of luck in all your future Mylar taping endeavors!

(thumbs u

When trying to open the flap, often the tape splits right on the edge leaving you with a time-consuming peeling and scraping job that usually still results in small pieces of tape stuck on the bag.

Tape2.jpg

Just leave the tape there, not hurting anything.

Also, no recommendations on proper tape?

Just leave the tape there, not hurting anything.

Also, no recommendations on proper tape?

I guess I made the thread too lengthy...

Or, if you choose not to try and peel, you’re left with the option of putting another piece of tape over the existing tape, making an unsightly mess or perhaps enough of a raised surface to make an indent on the cover of the book stored behind it in the box.

What to do when you’re ready to put your funnybook away and seal the bag? There are 3 schools of thought: use blue painters tape, 3M Post-It Flags or tuck the flap in. I’m a painter’s tape kind of guy while lizards2 is an outspoken advocate of Flags.

Class dismissed! Best of luck in all your future Mylar taping endeavors!

(thumbs u