• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vancouver Expo August 5 - 7, 2016

31 posts in this topic

No idea. Brand new show.

Same with me. Fact being that this is their first time hosting the show here. Well, that it being in the B.C. Place might be the ideal location.

Should be interesting to see how it do! hm

Is this show worth going to as a vendor?

Only if you have relatives or friends to visit that lovely summer weekend :wishluck: in the Vancouver area else a lot less risk for AB vendors (thumbs u to sell at Brasco's Red Deer June/16 expo for a show that is 1/2 the size of Edmonton expo or less (including Vanc Expo) in attendance.

dear Flatliner,

This is Vancouver. We are used to getting flyers at the LCS and web updates about 'confirmed' :wishluck: Comics guests (may or may not show up) a scant 3 weeks before the event like Fan Expo's late 'advertising.'

Will wait for Clobberin' Time's June/16 :wishluck: Regina Expo report to see if that Brasco event attracted a variety of vendors and decent attendance at the gate.

True ... As Flatliner said, no confirmed comic book artists or writers made known in attending. So far, it has been all media guests on list. Yes, wait and see close to last minute like Fan Expo did.

At the point, my friends and me were debuting about whatever to buy weekend pass or one day pass. We vote for one day pass due to the fact this show is brand new and still not know more info. :P

To strengthen cross-over attendance, Vanc Expo has a partnership with the 3 day Anime Revolution con at Vancouver Convention Centre whereby a weekend pass will get one into BOTH conventions. This is good if you like to see different fantasy-manga artists, buy prints or dress up like Pokemon-greggy. :facepalm:

I know one (1) vendor (not myself) who has booked an end cap for Vanc Expo so far. He felt he was treated 'badly' by Fan Expo Vancouver and Fan Expo Regina (poor communication or no communication), thus prefers not to deal with them in the future.

Flatliner,

Was surprised not to see you at ??? welfare comicon. Heard one collector cherrypick 9 x $1 comics (cover priced $2.95 US) and offer $5 then $6 rejected offers. Said 'collector' then put 8 comics back and dug deep into his pocket (not myself) to pay $1 for 1 comic.

Scooped up several good $1 readers:

yfDl2AXh.jpg

Not the goatee and baseball cap low baller who asks vendors to put comics on hold for 2 hrs (without a deposit) then comes back and buys 1 of 5 BA comics on hold.

:makepoint: This was same welfare low baller who asked for a 60% off discount on a SA FF that I already had listed at 20% off Overstreet plus Cdn loonie at par with US greenback. I declined his 'generous' offer that was actually lower than a low ball from another collector/investor who's name sounds like Rodie.

Last of the Vanc Expo flyers will make it out to Abbotsford then Kelowna Pop Culture show.

Think Brasco previously ran a 2 day Kelowna Expo and was not able to break even either. Bottom line is there are so many Pop Culture cons in Vancouver monthly. It is still possible to be successful, as Van Comic Show has expanded to massive 140 8' table show 3 times a year for (thumbs u 2017.

Other problem is that most Fan Expo vendors prepaid a $200 deposit in April, 2015 for the Nov, 2016 Vancouver con booth(s) so a bit hard to back out of a 'proven' 4th year Fan Expo.

Agreed that BC Place is too large a (football) venue to fill for an inaugural Vanc Expo.

I recommended that Brasco try PNE's Coliseum now that NHL sized rink has been decommissioned. They could set up 100 x 10' x 10' vendor's booths and have same amount of left over square footage for media star line ups and crowd control for sigs and photo ops. Decent transit near PNE and cheaper surrounding parking compared to downtown Vancouver for :wishluck: collectors, fans, vendors.