• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMB RAIDER starring Alicia Vikander (2017)
1 1

94 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I can't see people giving a krapp about TR enough anymore to have that kind of an opening. 

Guess we will see soon enough. But I would never factor out nostalgia when it comes to collectibles and games. Even for something like this.

USA Today:

Plot and character development fall off a cliff between crazy action — Lara goes flying down a waterfall and through a rusted aircraft in one scene and runs an obstacle course later on that would make Indiana Jones flinch. But there are some fun moments that are welcome when they come, and Vikander boasts amazing abs and insane traps for a highly physical role that diversifies her résumé compared with the more thespian-ready stuff (Ex Machina, The Danish Girl). That said, her leaping in superhuman fashion over a crumbling crevasse tests the limits of belief suspension. Tomb Raider isn’t subtle in planting seeds for sequels. With this fumble as the first outing, though, it’s game over already.

The Los Angeles Times:

Most significantly, perhaps, this "Tomb Raider" arrives at a moment when female protagonists are far better represented in mainstream American action cinema than they were when the Jolie movies were released. Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor may remain the most venerable examples of this tradition, but fans now have Wonder Woman, Imperator Furiosa and Katniss Everdeen — who, like Lara Croft, wields a mean bow and arrow. They have the women of "Black Panther" and "Annihilation," plus Alice from "Resident Evil." They have Captain Marvel to look forward to. None of this abundance dilutes the basic satisfaction of watching Vikander's Lara shed her nice-girl inhibitions and embrace her destiny, even if that means predictably swinging, leaping, hacking and punching her way through another assembly line of perils. It's hardly the first or last time Hollywood has plundered one of its own long-dormant properties, but it's also a reminder that not every resurrection has to feel like a desecration.

Independent:

In its lesser moments, this revival of Tomb Raider feels as ill-advised as that of the recent Tom Cruise vehicle, The Mummy. Neither brings anything new to franchises that would have better been left undisturbed for a few more years. Vikander is striking enough as Lara Croft to make the role her own, to banish memories of Angelina Jolie (and perhaps to justify further instalments) but the film itself is strictly by the numbers. [3/5]

Polygon:

After years of attempts, no one expects a video game movie to be high cinema. But if Tomb Raider wasn’t going to be great, I had at least held out hope that it would be entertaining. The allowance I was determined to give it was, unfortunately, not quite returned, and I left the theater wondering how soon I could rewatch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

SciFiNow:

Director Roar Uthaug has gone for a more grounded Tomb Raider than we’re used to seeing, with an opening bike chase in London reminding us that this is definitely the real world, and one that doesn’t have much time for magic and mysticism. It does, however, have a lot of time for spectacular stunts – especially one scene starring a decrepit old plane and a waterfall – bad- action heroines, and a whole lot of tomb raiding. This film clearly aims to be the first in a new franchise, and, on the strength of this, it will be. [3/5]

New York Daily News:

Sure, it’s great that the movie cut the pinup poses and casual gun violence of the earlier films (Lara doesn’t even get her iconic automatics until the end). But it’s not enough to get rid of things; you have to replace them with something else. Like character. Or charisma. Or originality. The film has at least one good scare though. The last scene promises a sequel.

The Wrap:

Since the genre of video games-turned-into-feature films has inflicted some real doozies on audiences, “Tomb Raider” towers above most of its peers by being merely OK. By any other measure, this is a saga of fits and starts, and we can only hope for smoother sailing if the film inspires the sequels it clearly hopes to engender.

Games Radar:

But despite integrity in spades, Tomb Raider never unearths gold. Muddy and messy they might be, but only one of the feel-the-sweat, hear-the-breath set-pieces sticks in the memory (Lara negotiating a rusted plane that bridges a waterfall – a scene lifted straight from the 2013 game), and even that is cursed by the memory of the altogether more suspenseful trailer-dangling-over-a-cliff scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. The story, meanwhile, is as dusty and cracked as an ancient treasure map, and for all the credibility craved by the filmmakers, they’re not above allowing Lara to outrun a spray of bullets on several occasions. [3/5]

One of my longtime favourite videogame series; Tomb Raider 1, 2, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, and the rebooted Tomb Raider, upon which the new film is based.

The films were extremely boring on TV, and I've no interest in watching another live-action version.

The thing Roar Uthaug did right was that the set-up is done so well in the beginning, you root for Lara Croft throughout the film. I also enjoyed that she had to earn my trust as an audience. A lot was riding on Alicia Vikander in this role. Can she pull it off? A lot of people thought… And when she does completely pull it off, the payoff is so satisfying. 

Vikander also gained 10-12 pounds of muscle to play this iconic role. Plus, she did her own stunts. If Lara Croft paved the way for female protagonists in video games. Then, Alicica Vikander is following in those footsteps and paving the way for female-led fantasy, action films. Alicia Vikander brought her A-game.  And I say right back atcha’ girlfriend.

Tomb Raider opens in theaters Friday, March 16th. 

GRADE: A

On 3/15/2018 at 7:56 AM, Ken Aldred said:

One of my longtime favourite videogame series; Tomb Raider 1, 2, Legend, Anniversary, Underworld, and the rebooted Tomb Raider, upon which the new film is based.

The films were extremely boring on TV, and I've no interest in watching another live-action version.

The Tomb Raider franchise reminds of the Resident Evil video game series like when both came out those games were cutting edge and gave me hours of enjoyment. Some could say Resident Evil and Tomb Raider were the Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 for the Playstation.

Unfortunately their movies have been so mediocre that I have no desire to see further movies of both franchises.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 3/13/2018 at 5:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

Guess we will see soon enough. But I would never factor out nostalgia when it comes to collectibles and games. Even for something like this.

Agreed. Tomb Raider first came out in 1996,so the rule of 25 is starting to happen.

Kind of will do Goosebumps or Power Rangers 2017 box office I guess.

On 3/16/2018 at 10:25 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Some could say Resident Evil and Tomb Raider were the Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 for the Playstation.

Literally nobody would say that, especially about Tomb Raider.

51 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Literally nobody would say that, especially about Tomb Raider.

Really? I thought the first two Tomb Raider games were cutting edge at the time, and were one of the reasons I went out and bought a Playstation.

My other two in the trilogy of must have games back than was Resident Evil and Legacy of Kain. 

btw both Tomb Raider 1 and 2 sold a combined 15 million copies for the Playstation 1.

That's outstanding when you think it was bought with 1990s money.

Related image                 Related image

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

panther's tracking for another first place week... disapointing for Tomb Raider that it cant beat a 4 week old movie!

Which by Monday will have made in excess  of 1.2 Billion dollars !!!!

PS: I will be seeing this on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Really? I thought the first two Tomb Raider games were cutting edge at the time, and were one of the reasons I went out and bought a Playstation.

My other two in the trilogy of must have games back than was Resident Evil and Legacy of Kain. 

btw both Tomb Raider 1 and 2 sold a combined 15 million copies for the Playstation 1.

That's outstanding when you think it was bought with 1990s money.

Related image                 Related image

Why is nobody complaining that Lara doesn't look like that in the movies? That square faced look is all the rage now.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

panther's tracking for another first place week... disapointing for Tomb Raider that it cant beat a 4 week old movie!

Ask that of all the movies that were bumped in the past by massive hits like we are seeing now. Titanic was #1 for 15 consecutive weekends. Heck if I would have ever guessed Beverly Hills Cop was 13 consecutive weekends.

x1Dj6KU.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Ask that of all the movies that were bumped in the past by massive hits like we are seeing now. Titanic was #1 for 15 consecutive weekends. Heck if I would have ever guessed Beverly Hills Cop was 13 consecutive weekends.

x1Dj6KU.jpg

and theres only one on that list from the 21st century.... its just not the same entertainment ecosystem as it used to be...