• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey storyline question

24 posts in this topic

I know there are a lot of spidey fans on here, I am primarily a Hulk fan but I really love a lot of the early spidey covers, my question is: What are the story lines like? I read all my comics and I have ocd so I would have to collect all the amazing spiderman run.

Cheers

1-33 is basically perfection. You could just do the Ditko run (and many have stated it would have been the perfect place to end things) But 1-300 is pretty solid (it gets a bit weak after that and also gets insane with splitting (as there is multiple Spider-books around that point and the storyline bounces between them).

Cheers for input, I don't mind the odd crossover but I have been told that it did split crazily between 3 or 4 different spiderman comics at one point. These also seem quite affordable (for a pleb like me) aside from a few issues which I could save for!!!!!!!!

Sign up for marvel unlimited and read it on an ipad. You can read pretty much everything and don't need to buy tpbs or the run

Thanks for the info but that also takes the fun out of finding and collecting the individual issues, I tried reading a few comics on my kindle but just didn't get the feel of holding a comic in my hands.

1-33 is basically perfection. You could just do the Ditko run (and many have stated it would have been the perfect place to end things) But 1-300 is pretty solid (it gets a bit weak after that and also gets insane with splitting (as there is multiple Spider-books around that point and the storyline bounces between them).

The Ditko run is pretty awesome, but I really think the book picks up steam when Romita comes onto the title. I'd read through to 122, at least.

The Ditko run is pretty awesome, but I really think the book picks up steam when Romita comes onto the title. I'd read through to 122, at least.

Gotta go to at least 200 from there.

I recently set out to read 1-200. There were great storylines thru issue 100. From 101- 120something, I wasn't impressed. Late 120s thru the early 170s rocked, but the 180s-193 not so much. Leading to 200 was great.

From memory, there were some really good arcs in the 200s, Firelord, Juggernaut, Hobgoblin, The Rose,etc. I'm not a fan of Todd Mac or Venom.

I recently set out to read 1-200. There were great storylines thru issue 100. From 101- 120something, I wasn't impressed. Late 120s thru the early 170s rocked, but the 180s-193 not so much. Leading to 200 was great.

From memory, there were some really good arcs in the 200s, Firelord, Juggernaut, Hobgoblin, The Rose,etc. I'm not a fan of Todd Mac or Venom.

I was buying ASM off the stands from 180-up

The Red Dragon arc was good. Byrne man-wolf in 189/190 was fun. 191/192 was great. And the cliff hanger from 198-199 was awesome. :cloud9:

Pretty accurate, I’d add that up to #200 there is not much to be disappointed.

If one does not like the caricatural quality of Todd McFarlane drawings (or Erik Larsen later on – ugh!), the earlier David Micheline stories are good regardless. Up to the story arc of Peter Parker's parents… IMO.

When Stern came on the book, it was pretty solid. I agree that the title really dipped in the late 100s. Picked up steam again for 200 but then dropped big time until Stern took over. From 220ish up it was pretty awesome. I think the Stern/Romita Jr run is one of the best.

The best thing about ASM 1-300?

Continuity

Anyone remember when it still existed? :cloud9:

Joe Quesada says that he does not know what you are talking about...

742788-sd2007_joe_quesada_01.jpg

Thinking about it, I'm recalling that even though from #1-300 or so, there were some weak periods, they did not stay down for very long before picking up again. Very remarkable for a 25-year period !

I'm going to have to re-read some of the early 80s issues, most of them I haven't opened in 30+ years. Seems like I remember the early Hobgoblin Frenz issues being quite good...

ASM 1-33 (Pretty much perfect. 90% of everything Spidey is about, takes place here)

ASM 39-99 (Romita's look helped propel this comic to #1 status at Marvel, and it does look great - I love these issues. It's more of a Soap Opera in Pete's life throughout and very few villains to compete with what Ditko had created, but it's still a very classic run)

ASM 121-149 (I grew up with this run, and it still reads great to me, even for few years after - Romita covers, under rated Ross Andru art (not many drew the city of New York BETTER in a comic than he did), and the usual soap opera mixed with action.

ASM late 220's through 280's ( Roger Stern leading into Tom DeFalco stories and Romita Jr., at his best leading into Ron Frenz art. The last really good run.

ASM 298-310 or so. (Spidey changes in many ways, not only through marriage, but in style, as McFarlane and then Larsen, and then Bagley rocket him to new sales heights. These early David Micehline/McFaralne issues are fun to read, but still not really the Spidey I grew up with.

ASM on up. (No thank you.)

+1

Very glad it didn't end with Ditko.