• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Scooby Doo in comics?

48 posts in this topic

Saw this in a DC Sugar and Spike 86 from Nov 1969

Predates Scooby Doo 1 which was March 1970

No doubt it is only a marginal "1st appearance" as an ad but I thought it was still pretty cool in a Marvel Age sort of way. All the characters are basically in comic book character form, not some head shots or title only etc. Though I do think Scooby is a bit mis quoted as he would never say "Wow is it ever a gas" More like " Rowrer Shraggy, rris rit rever a Rraasss!"

With Scooby Doo 1 getting $100 in low grade I thought it pretty cool.

If it's only in Sugar and Spike that might make a difference too since it's a lower print run.

I checked an Adventure 386 (Nov 1969) and the interior ad was for ABC cartoons and not CBS. I wonder which other issues might have the CBS w Scooby Doo ad.

Not every day you discover something new in 50 year old comics. It was new to me at least.

img367.jpg

Very cool! I doubt it would ever catch on as a collectible issue because of this, but it's still a cool discovery.

Pretty nice page -- Wacky Races, the 1st Scooby Doo, and the Monkees all in one shot!

All it takes these days is for a couple ebay sellers to start promoting this as a 1st appearance and the silliness begins. :facepalm:

That ad was in several different comics so I'm guessing it's pretty unlikely to get a spike.

In fact there were numerous yearly fall season Saturday morning promo ads in the comics in the 1960s and 1970s. Check out this link:

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/gallery.php?page=saturday

So this is still the champ as Scooby's first "official" appearance in comics.

7da260f1d568f966c5dbb258ead9ad403e60f6fd.jpg

What's pretty cool about Scooby #1 too is that it appeared only a few months (about 3 actually) after his cartoon debut.

It still counts as THE first appearance or appearances(if in more then one issue), large 1 panel of Scooby and the gang and it should be noted on future labels as pre-dating Scooby Doo 1. The first issue CGC label states its the FIRST appearance in comics and that's obviously incorrect.

So its not the champ. Every day we find out something currently noted or accepted is wrong.

It still counts as THE first appearance or appearances(if in more then one issue), large 1 panel of Scooby and the gang and it should be noted on future labels as pre-dating Scooby Doo 1. The first issue CGC label states its the FIRST appearance in comics and that's obviously incorrect.

So its not the champ. Every day we find out something currently noted or accepted is wrong.

giphy.gif

GLWTS

Cool!

I really wish somebody would reprint the Gold Key & Marvel series (even beat-up copies from both are hard to find these days, and expensive). I always find Mark Evanier's work to be entertaining, and Dan Spiegel's artwork is criminally underrated.

If I were to rank this "1st Appearance"

1 - Character mentioned as name only as an ad in another book

5 - Shown prior to a continuum first in a Marvel Age type comic

10 - Hulk 180 type 1st appearance, full image and part of the storyline

I'd give this one a 3.

Same rank as New Mutants 86 IMO.

Significant and better than a common surrounding issue, but not ado about much.

In the case of a lot of books with characters that appeared prior to their first full appearances in small teasers of whatever you can make a case. So it all depends how you want to split hairs. The ad for the upcoming cbs cartoon series appeared across the board in that months comics as a ad paid for by cbs tv. So that's a lot of different comics with the ad. Do you want to pick through the months comics releases dates to see who's first is really first (comics being on sale twice weekly release schedules then)?

If it was an ad for a Scooby Doo coloring book that beat Scooby Doo #1 out is that his first real appearance?

I guess it's all in your perspective. As said his first appearance was in cartoons so the comics don't really have his first "appearance" only his first comic designed for that character.

It's always going to be a little different with true "first appearances" of cartoon characters going all the way back to Disney. I wouldn't expect an entire months release of comics (sold in August I believe) to suddenly skyrocket in value over a fall cartoon season ad but I have most those books if it does as well as Scooby #1. lol

Got most of those early Caspers too. :grin:

It's always going to be a little different with true "first appearances" of cartoon characters going all the way back to Disney. I wouldn't expect an entire months release of comics (sold in August I believe) to suddenly skyrocket in value over a fall cartoon season ad but I have most those books if it does as well as Scooby #1. lol

Got most of those early Caspers too. :grin:

(thumbs u