• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the grade affect the value of a commissioned sketch?

18 posts in this topic

Since I've started collecting sketches, I've never looked at the grade. I never cared about the condition of the book because to me the value of the book is on the original art by the artist, not the blank sketch cover.

Lately, I've noticed that lower grade sketches selling for less than higher graded ones by the same artist. I'm confused because it would seem that by this logic, a 9.8 blank cover with no art (blue label) would be more expensive than a 9.4 with a sketch on it (Signature Series). I currently have 2 sketches by Herb Trimpe....one a 9.2 and another a 9.8. One is Wolverine and another is of Hulk. Is the 9.8 worth more and if so, why?

So my questions are why does the grade matter on an original sketch & is there some kind of scale when it comes to value and condition of the book?

It only matters to the subset to collectors who are finicky about having 9.8 books (some of which want the 9.8 SS for the extra registry points cause they are focused on having the top registry for a title)

I personally have been on the recieving end of a few lower grade signatures and sketches (bought on the secondary market) and I've loved getting them for less...

the SS market is smaller than the general CGC market, so when you are talking about a tiny audience, and then you eliminate even a few of those potential buyers (who arent interested in a sub 9.8 book) it affects the price you are able to realize on a book.

I love my 9.6 Infantino SS book.

heck I love my 8.0 color touched purple striped Russ Heath SS book

I've got a 9.0 Gene Ha lantern sketch somewhere and I love it!

why? cause the signature (or the sketch) is the important part to me, not the grade.

That's why I wish there was a no grade option for sketches or celebs.

More times than not even with a 9.8 if you decide to sell a sketch or a celebrity signed SS your going to lose money. Unfortunately as the grade goes down....the more y ouwill be out......but at the same time it presents some great buying opportunities

For me, it depends on why the book got the grade it did. If the book is damaged (bent corners, color-breaking spine crease, etc.) then those flaws diminish the art a bit like a damaged canvas would affect a painting.

Many times the book itself is flawless but the back cover might get smudged with ink or paint while the artist was working on it. That doesn't matter to me even though it can hammer the grade.

For me, it depends on why the book got the grade it did. If the book is damaged (bent corners, color-breaking spine crease, etc.) then those flaws diminish the art a bit like a damaged canvas would affect a painting.

Many times the book itself is flawless but the back cover might get smudged with ink or paint while the artist was working on it. That doesn't matter to me even though it can hammer the grade.

Yeah, I just got this done a few months ago and it came back an 8.5 because of back cover marks from Hardin...this is my lowest graded sketch.

20160214_112128_resized_zpsvtvqnsyr.jpg

Honestly it matters to some for the same reason having any grade book matters. Most of the general public could not tell a 9.0 book from a 9.8. Heck I collect these things and sometimes I am sure I have a 9.8 and it comes back a 9.4.

Some collectors want the higher grade and are willing to pay extra for it. Some don't care about the grade and thus those books are cheaper because the audience is smaller.

Yeah, I just got this done a few months ago and it came back an 8.5 because of back cover marks from Hardin...this is my lowest graded sketch.

How could something that beautiful that presents so well come back an 8.5 (yes, I know "how"; I just mean, philosophically.....)?

The sketch was intentional but doesn't affect the grade or label (i.e., every sketched book isn't coming back as Qualified); so if there are unintentional remains of the creative effort that went into the book, mostly unseen (since you have to TURN THE ART OVER to see them and the art is the entire purpose of the thing), and the flaw isn't structural damage (creases, etc.) Then I don't much care for the idea of the book being graded down since that was part of the process of the sketch.

Yes, the marks on the book affect the cosmetic condition of the book, which will affect the grade; I understand that. But then why not downgrade the whole book since someone took a nice clean cover and drew a picture on it?

"Well, this was specifically witnessed as a sketch cover, so those are different and exceptional circumstances where the art is......"

I know. But sometimes, part of getting at that art means little imperfections on the back, which are part of the process and do not affect the physical integrity of the book. Qualifying, or ignoring, seems to make more sense to me than lowering a grade if the book's structure hasn't been altered by the artist - or at least, no more altered than what the intended art has already done.

But I also see where and why this point would be debated for years to come.

How could something that beautiful that presents so well come back an 8.5 (yes, I know "how"; I just mean, philosophically.....)?

The sketch was intentional but doesn't affect the grade or label (i.e., every sketched book isn't coming back as Qualified); so if there are unintentional remains of the creative effort that went into the book, mostly unseen (since you have to TURN THE ART OVER to see them and the art is the entire purpose of the thing), and the flaw isn't structural damage (creases, etc.) Then I don't much care for the idea of the book being graded down since that was part of the process of the sketch.

Yes, the marks on the book affect the cosmetic condition of the book, which will affect the grade; I understand that. But then why not downgrade the whole book since someone took a nice clean cover and drew a picture on it?

"Well, this was specifically witnessed as a sketch cover, so those are different and exceptional circumstances where the art is......"

I know. But sometimes, part of getting at that art means little imperfections on the back, which are part of the process and do not affect the physical integrity of the book. Qualifying, or ignoring, seems to make more sense to me than lowering a grade if the book's structure hasn't been altered by the artist - or at least, no more altered than what the intended art has already done.

But I also see where and why this point would be debated for years to come.

I agree. I would like to think that the entire point of a sketch cover is to get original art on it and any form of damage to that cover only shouldn't affect the grade....only damage to the comic pages itself (i.e. holes, tears, dents, creases, etc).

Just upsetting that my collection "value" could be perceived less as the grade may not be as desirable.