• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help from the comic community

78 posts in this topic

Again for emphasis, here are the stolen comics:

COMICS STOLEN AT 2016 MEGACON in Orlando, Florida on Thursday, May 26

Amazing Spider-Man #1 (lower grade; "Carolyne" written on the cover)

Amazing Spider-Man #14, CGC 5.5

Amazing Spider-Man #15, VG

Avengers #1 CGC 3.0 (cracked case; the word "Avengers" traced on cover in pen)

Batman #251, VF+

Daredevil #1 (green overspray on the spine)

Giant-Size X-Men (GSX) #1, high grade (was returned by dealer who unknowingly bought it from thief)

Journey Into Mystery #103, VG

Marvel Premiere #15, VF

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.8

Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.8 NM

Pictures of comics on page 3 of this thread, and also in Bleeding Cool article.

All dealers in Florida and nearby states should be on the lookout, but dealers elsewhere should also be aware of these stolen comics. Collectors also be wary of anyone trying to sell these books.

The article states: "The thief is described as “a man in his 50s, with a greyish mustache, very round with slick back greyish hair. He wore a military hat.”"

For Craigslist searching/monitoring purposes:

Craigslist Orlando -- general search for "comic"

Links to monitor eBay auctions/sales closest to Orlando (zip code 32801):

Amazing Spider-Man #1 | Sold

Amazing Spider-Man #14 | Sold

Amazing Spider-Man #15 | Sold

Avengers #1 | Sold

Batman #251 | Sold

Daredevil #1 | Sold

Journey Into Mystery #103 | Sold

Marvel Premiere #15 | Sold

New Mutants #98 | Sold

Secret Wars #8 | Sold

(Note: Some of the above links might need tweaking, but these will give you a good "quick view" to see if any obvious sales of your comics are on eBay or have previously sold on eBay.)

If you haven't yet done so (and it sounds like you have), I recommend contacting every comic shop and dealer listed on these pages:

Florida Geek Scene - list of shops

The Master List - Florida comic shops etc.

Best Comic Book Shops in Miami

Here are some of the shops that came up on the first page of a "comics + florida" Google search:

Coliseum of Comics

Mike's Comics

Shamrock Comics

Mike's Comics and Collectibles

Tate's Comics, Toys and More

From there you could contact every dealer up the coast and near Florida, starting with the major shops/dealers in Georgia.

----

Here is an example of an email you could send out to every dealer, etc. you can find. You might already have done this, of course, but in case it's helpful, here is another version:

--------------

To all comic book dealers, collectors, hobbyists and enthusiasts in and around Florida:

Please be on the lookout for anybody trying to sell the following comics, which were stolen from Megacon 2016 on Thursday, May 26:

---

Amazing Spider-Man #1 (lower grade; "Carolyne" written on the cover)

Amazing Spider-Man #14, CGC 5.5

Amazing Spider-Man #15, VG

Avengers #1 CGC 3.0 (cracked case; the word "Avengers" traced on cover in pen)

Batman #251, VF+

Daredevil #1 (green overspray on the spine)

Journey Into Mystery #103, VG

Marvel Premiere #15, VF

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.8

Secret Wars #8 CGC 9.8 NM

---

These comic books, in a bag, were stolen from Carlos Rosaly just outside the convention hall in Orlando. The theft represents a significant financial loss and has caused considerable hardship.

The thief was seen on Friday, May 27 selling one of the books. He is described as noticeably overweight, possibly in his 50s, with a gray mustache and combed-back gray hair. At the time he was wearing a military-style hat.

More information (including photos of the stolen comics) in this Bleeding Cool article:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/30/collectors-comics-stolen-at-megacon-the-hunt-for-the-thief-is-on/

Also, see this page of the CGC Comics collectors' forum:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9402074#Post9402074

Contact info for Carlos Rosaly (who also uses the name Antonio Estarke in online forums):

https://www.facebook.com/carlosspidey.rosaly?fref=nf

(Add email, phone, etc. here)

If you see somebody possessing or attempting to sell these comics, please contact the comic books' owner Carlos Rosaly, and/or Orlando police, who have been alerted to the theft. Also please send out the word to all other dealers, collectors and other interested parties who might come into contact with somebody displaying or trying to sell the above comics.

Thank you.

I've contacted all the shops and they are aware and I have contacted the dealers on Craigslist as well. I feel like I've missed people or that the books have already been sold. Knowing the caliber of books that were taken I know if the person was a collector they might not get rid of the big ones but I'm hoping at least my Asm 1 or avengers 1 come to light. They were my babies

Another tip if you haven't done yet, you can run WTB ads for comics in Craigslist. Sprinkle them around the neighboring areas.

Good luck on your quest I hope they turn up.

Phillip

I've contacted all the shops and they are aware and I have contacted the dealers on Craigslist as well. I feel like I've missed people or that the books have already been sold. Knowing the caliber of books that were taken I know if the person was a collector they might not get rid of the big ones but I'm hoping at least my Asm 1 or avengers 1 come to light. They were my babies

Your Avengers #1 will be very hard for somebody to sell on the open market. I hope you are not discouraged to keep looking for a long time, and I hope others will remember this even years from now.

So I think I've given up hope ? Comic stores are tired of hearing from me or don't really seem interested. One store even answered me with " I know who you are and no they aren't here. I'm an honest person" and hung up. Not to mention the constant trolling from the fb community. It's been a month and well can look forever. I don't know what else to do. Thank you everyone for the support on here and I appreciate you guys all taking it seriously. Some have taken it as a way to make a joke.

So I think I've given up hope ? Comic stores are tired of hearing from me or don't really seem interested. One store even answered me with " I know who you are and no they aren't here. I'm an honest person" and hung up. Not to mention the constant trolling from the fb community. It's been a month and well can look forever. I don't know what else to do. Thank you everyone for the support on here and I appreciate you guys all taking it seriously. Some have taken it as a way to make a joke.

Empathy is not a strong suit for some, especially given the (somewhat) virtual anonymity granted in this digital world.

Be pragmatic; you may never see your books again, but don't give up hope. The two can coexist :)

Best of luck to you & I hope the books turn up for you someday ! Ya never know !

Don't let this consume you, but on the flipside, don't let the in that Facebook group Charles Stewart get in the way of your efforts in recoving what is rightfully yours.

Anyone that starts a thread saying they are in possession of your comics as a "joke" deserves to be thrown in shark infested waters.

Strange that someone wouldn't want to talk to you, at least briefly, about your situation. "I'm an honest person" is an inappropriately defensive thing to say (unless you were accusing him of something, which of course you weren't).

A thief who had stolen high-value key comics might be inclined to lie low for a while before attempting to sell. Especially when comics like your Avengers #1 are so identifiably yours (with the lines drawn in the title). Though having your hopes up sounds like a bad idea, in terms of your emotional health, periodically checking (on Craiglist, eBay, etc.) just as a part of your routine can't hurt.

One thing I noticed is on StolenComicBooks.com you have posted about your comics, but you might consider updating the information to make it more clearly legible (formatting the comic titles with line breaks, etc.). Also, it looks like you uploaded the same image repeatedly, and the other images of your comics are not there. You might also consider posting some information about the police report, the time and nature of the theft (including the description of the perp), etc. so people get a fuller sense of what happened and what to look for.

Everybody who collects and deals comics benefits from deterring, catching and getting justice for crimes like the one you were a victim of.

It definitely has taken its toll on my relationship. My fiancé feels it's taken over our relationship been on my phone nonstop since it happened. Which she understands but at the same time I understand her feelings. The stress has definitely left me feeling panick with so much that was at stake with some of those and I came inches from giving up on collecting all together. As soon as I saw how quickly everyone just immediately messaged me asking about what I wanted for what is left of my collection and after speaking to a good friend I decided I'll stick it out and rebuild. I'm gonna start off just trading with a few of the smaller keys I have left and work my way back up to the books I want, starting with nyx 3 ( that damn book has eluded me for years )