• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you pay the 100-200% premium for CGC 9.8 over 9.6?

CGC 9.6 or 9.8  

315 members have voted

1. 1. CGC 9.6 or 9.8

86 posts in this topic

I was curious what percentage of people pay the big markup for a 9.8 book over a 9.6 book.

Personally, so far I've only bought 9.6 books because in every situation so far, it has saved me more than half on price (hundred of dollars each time). This sort of thing brings me back to trading cards, when the only purpose of buying the higher grade was investment potential. What are your reasons?

I find it strange though that even on books that are not lacking in circulation this price difference is still alive and well.

Using ASM #300 as an example, I see the 9.6 books selling for under $400 while the 9.8 selling from $800-1000.

Do you think it is justified or just crazy?

The other part of me does not trust CGC to always get it right on a re-case, I've seen so many times where a book goes down a grade, costing someone potentially hundreds or thousands of dollars. Especially when the differences between a 9.6 to 9.8 are minimal at best.

Do you only do it for certain ages like gold and silver, but not bronze or copper?

I have many different collecting foci and each has a grade range I'm comfortable with.

GA - Schomburg covers 6.0-8.0.

GA - Spirit Sections 6.0-9.0

SA - Early Marvels 6.0-7.0

Late SA - Steranko covers 9.4-9.6

Late BA/Early CA - Sienkiewicz Covers 9.6-9.8

I cracked out some SA 9.8s and 9.6s, and it's all fantasy, in general, that these are any better than 9.2s or 9.4s. And yes, they were CGCs. Grading is inconsistent and all over the board.

It all depends on the book for any age.

Presentation is more important than the grade.

Pretty much this... and most of the people I know that buy slabs buy the best they can afford based upon their purchasing habits (do they buy many slabs a year, or one or two big ones, etc).

As far as presentation and moderns go... well, it has rarely ever been an issue :makepoint:

I doubt I'd ever shell out the cash for a serious key in 9.8 though, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That is when your point about presentation really comes into play, and subjectivity becomes a big deal since some people prefer certain types of defects over other types of defects.

I cracked out some SA 9.8s and 9.6s, and it's all fantasy, in general, that these are any better than 9.2s or 9.4s. And yes, they were CGCs. Grading is inconsistent and all over the board.

I see similar to this said pretty often. I've personally never seen a 9.2 in a 9.8 holder (or vice versa), but I know some of the people on here literally see thousands of slabs every year. Still, I'd like to see a thread showing some examples of something like this. Those two grades are pretty far apart, even considering subjectivity. Definitely a failure in QA.

I see similar to this said pretty often. I've personally never seen a 9.2 in a 9.8 holder (or vice versa), but I know some of the people on here literally see thousands of slabs every year. Still, I'd like to see a thread showing some examples of something like this. Those two grades are pretty far apart, even considering subjectivity. Definitely a failure in QA.

I've seen this in the 9.6 to 9.8 ranges. The distinction between these two grades seems really inconsistent to me. So much so that there's no way I would fork over a premium for that extra .2. At this level, it feels like I'm paying for the label, not the book.

I've seen this in the 9.6 to 9.8 ranges. The distinction between these two grades seems really inconsistent to me. So much so that there's no way I would fork over a premium for that extra .2. At this level, it feels like I'm paying for the label, not the book.

Sometimes it is a mystery similar to why 999 apparently flawless books came back a 9.8 and that other one came back a 9.9 :shrug:

But like I said, there's a whole lot of room between a 9.2, or even a 9.4, and a 9.8.

It depends on the age of the book with me. Most of the time with Walking Dead, I've had better experiences buying 9.6s and holding until they eventually go up. With most moderns, I definitely want a 9.8 in most cases.

Only 100%-200% over GPA for a 9.8? Buncha pikers. I never pay less than 400% over GPA :sumo:

If you fell for that, then I have some ocean front property in Montana that you might be interested in. :baiting: