• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,089 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, pickycollector said:

Does anyone know if the Marvel Treasuries were polybagged when originally sold? Any original owner whom bought them when offered on newsstands?

I have that MTE #20 that is polybagged and I dare not opening it before knowing for sure.

MTE 20.jpeg

They were not, I bought many back in the day. 

On 5/14/2024 at 5:20 PM, comic_memories said:

They were not, I bought many back in the day. 

Thanks for the info. If that was not the rule, maybe that was an exception? Have you ever seen any of those Treasuries polybagged? Not sure to understand why this one is.

Posted (edited)

Never seen them polybagged and I started buying them off the shelves in 1976. The seller doesn't know what he's talking about. The only comics that were polyabgged back then were 3-Packs.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 5/14/2024 at 9:06 PM, dick pontoon said:

Never seen them polybagged and I started buying them off the shelves in 1976. The seller doesn't know what he's talking about. The only comics that were polyabgged back then were 3-Packs.

So why is this one polybagged? If anyone know, please tell me.

There are lots of ways to reseal a bag, or seal a bag that was never sealed. 

I seal my left over nail polish strips with a straightening iron, but I think this method is more widely known.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:17 PM, pickycollector said:

So why is this one polybagged? If anyone know, please tell me.

It's polybagged because someone put it in a polybag and sealed it.  This could have been anybody from the original seller when it first came out to the person who sold it to you.  I can see reasons for a store to want to bag them like that back in the day, and as far as I know Treasury bags didn't come along until later (although I'm not sure when they did first appear.)

I know, not a very satisfying or complete reason, and I would love it if somebody could fill in better details.

On 5/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, pickycollector said:

Does anyone know if the Marvel Treasuries were polybagged when originally sold? Any original owner whom bought them when offered on newsstands?

I have that MTE #20 that is polybagged and I dare not opening it before knowing for sure.

I bought many of them off the newsstand, and never saw a polybagged one. I'm 99.9999% certain that none were bagged - even the Whitman variants didn't come bagged. I did not, however, buy #20 on the stands, which keeps me from being 100% certain. I have seen (and bought) many over the years, and have never seen one bagged.