• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 8: 7th - 9th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th

76 posts in this topic

Are you guys kidding with Hulk #1? I see it as the third most important Marvel key of the S.A.

Right behind F.F.#1 and AF#15 respectively.

Dave...you're delusional...but I'll give you a pass cause you're a Hulk-freak...lol... :makepoint::baiting::blahblah::sumo::tonofbricks::insane:doh!:boo::frustrated::censored:(tsk):signfunny::preach:

:sorry:

Tom, I did say F.F. was tops... (shrug):baiting::taptaptap:

Are you guys kidding with Hulk #1? I see it as the third most important Marvel key of the S.A.

Dave...you're delusional...but I'll give you a pass cause you're a Hulk-freak...lol... :makepoint::baiting::blahblah::sumo::tonofbricks::insane:doh!:boo::frustrated::censored:(tsk):signfunny::preach:

:sorry:

Tom, I did say F.F. was tops... (shrug):baiting::taptaptap:

Importance is an interesting concept as it means many different things to different people. When first putting the poll together I deliberately left it loosely defined as that generates discussion around the topic. As evidenced in these polls it is the discussion that makes the polls interesting.

On Hulk's significance I would take into account the world wide recognition of the characters. Even pre-movies and for decades, if you took an image of the Hulk and the original X-Men team to non-comic adults and kids they would recognise the Hulk substantially more than the X-Men. If we were to do a cross age list then GS X-Men #1 would be a very significant book.

I don't think Hulk is substantially more recognizable or vital to the Marvel Universe than Thor. The difference in 'importance' voting for their respective first appearances seems to boil down to value, from what I can figure.

I don't think Hulk is substantially more recognizable or vital to the Marvel Universe than Thor.

Hulk is way more universally known than Thor, Lou Ferrigno made sure of that! Thor and DD were guest stars on Hulk's show, not the other way around. Go into any Disney store and look at the preponderance of merchandise for any individual character - Spidey, Hulk, and Wolverine dominate.

I don't think Hulk is substantially more recognizable or vital to the Marvel Universe than Thor. The difference in 'importance' voting for their respective first appearances seems to boil down to value, from what I can figure.

FMV does speak volumes about a book's place within the hierarchy....... although a debate amongst gentlemen about the more subjective virtues is always a refreshing exercise of the ole gray matter. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Agreed, and let me add that relative scarcity contributes to Hulk1's value and perceived importance over JIM 83.

FMV does speak volumes about a book's place within the hierarchy....... although a debate amongst gentlemen about the more subjective virtues is always a refreshing exercise of the ole gray matter. GOD BLESS...

Consider this:

How many successful X-Men titles have we seen since '75? Compare that to how many Hulk-led titles? Hulk could never carry as many titles. The X-Men are a Marvel Dynasty. Do you think X-Men 1 would be less valuable if it were as scarce as Hulk 1?

Arbitrary decisions when it comes to applying relative scarcity...

I chose B&B 28 (team of already been there)

Xmen 1(boring)

Jim 83(chick book)

Didn't vote for showcase 22 only because inknew everyone else would this time

I personably have been a fan of iron man my entire collecting life and never cared as much for those loser Xmen or goldilocks.

Decided to vote them off the island before tony stark.

Old school Second tier that may some day surpass FF1 if they don't get their act together.

Still love me my FF1 though.

How many discussions among fans of early Marvel were about how each person's favorite character would match up with the Hulk? The desire to see that matchup is what drives the value of Fantastic Four 12, 25-26, Journey Into Mystery 112, Tales To Astonish 93, Cap 110, and others. The early Avengers' main priority was bringing in the Hulk, even when he didn't make an appearance. He couldn't carry a solo title at the time, but he was a great foil for everyone else.

To all the fellas (and ladies) who cling onto the desperate hope that the FF will one day rise from the ashes and become relevant again, I say keep hoping. That ship has sailed. bon voyage.

Top 10 SilverAge hierarchy is:

1. AF 15

2. AF 15

3. AF 15

4. AF 15

5. AF 15

6. AF 15

7. AF 15

8. AF 15

9. ASM 1

10. Hulk 1

11 through 30...honestly, who cares.

back in the mid 70's I never even knew Hulk had his own, failed, 1 thru 6 comic

.... I sure did...... :cloud9: back in "75 I picked up 2 through 6 in a group lot for 30 bucks..... the 6 was a VF. There's not a book in this whole Poll group of 30 that I wouldn't be proud to own, to be honest. GOD BLESS...

The poll here is for ranking importance. That the Fantastic Four #1 started the Marvel age of comics is irrefutable and irrevocable.

Yes, and with each passing year the FF becomes less significant. History is great, but important acne is another thing altogether.

The poll here is for ranking importance. That the Fantastic Four #1 started the Marvel age of comics is irrefutable and irrevocable.

Yes, and with each passing year the FF becomes less significant. History is great, but important acne is another thing altogether.

Importance...