• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 8: 7th - 9th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th

76 posts in this topic

All,

The 10th to 12th poll has ended with the following results:

10th Avengers #1

11th ASM #1

12th Daredevil #1

13th Avengers #4

14th FF #5

15th Strange Tales #110

16th FF #48

17th Adventure #247

18th Action #252

19th TTA #27

20th ASM #14

21st OAAW #83

22nd = FF#4 and Sgt Fury #1

24th ASM #3

25th JIM #85

26th Flash #105

27th Tec #225

28th= FF #52 and Green Lantern #1

30th X-Men #4

3 votes this time to determine which books are 7th, 8th and 9th

Please vote for the least important books.

Poll ends June 20th.

BB 28

SC 22

X Men 1

Ditto.

X-men was not a strong seller and really didn't get mainstream appeal until the Byrne years. I realize that X-men 1 started it all, but it's hard to push it any higher.

SC22 was tough fo me, but Hal has gone high enough. I just don't see him as being more "important" than Iron Man or Thor at this time.

BB28 is a great book, but not really the first team book and no ones first appearance. It made it further than AV1, that's good enough.

Agreed as to the place Showcase 6 as the first SA team book and one factor that reduces the degree of BB 28's keyness. However, the superhero team took the SA to the next step. The question to ask about BB 28 has more to do with the significance of the team book in the Silver Age and the influence this first superhero team had on those that followed. The standard "first appearance" required criteria is an important variable to assess but must not be exclusive- since it provides an evaluator one lens to see the SA. The superhero team book had a key place in SA history. A first team collaboration of SA superheroes is one significant key to what made the SA what it was. Should a first appearance requirement be necessary to also define the emergence of the first SA superhero team?

Where would the SA have been without the superhero team books?

And then there were 9...

Pretty easy voting here for me...voted the bottom 3 off...

7 TOS 39

8 XMEN 1

9 SC 22

Firstly, I had these 9 books as Top 9 when I wrote my Top 10 at the beginning of the poll. Only difference in the Top 10 I had ASM 1 at 10.

I put absolutely zero influence on the popularity of the movies or lack thereof. Just focusing on the "importance" and place in history of the book/title. As previously stated, SC 22 ultimately is a rehash. And TOS and XMEN are 2nd Tier to the other 4 titles...HULK 1 is the swing book between Top Tier and 2nd Tier.

Top 3 will be easy...FF1, AF15 and SC4...I rank FF1 and AF15 as a tie for #1... :insane:

And then there were 9...

7 TOS 39

8 XMEN 1

9 SC 22

Firstly, I had these 9 books as Top 9 when I wrote my Top 10 at the beginning of the poll. Only difference in the Top 10 I had ASM 1 at 10.

I put absolutely zero influence on the popularity of the movies or lack thereof. Just focusing on the "importance" and place in history of the book/title. As previously stated, SC 22 ultimately is a rehash. And TOS and XMEN are 2nd Tier to the other 4 titles...HULK 1 is the swing book between Top Tier and 2nd Tier.

Top 3 will be easy...FF1, AF15 and SC4...I rank FF1 and AF15 as a tie for #1... :insane:

I agree with your top 3 (it should be an easy combination of AF15, FF1 and SC4).

I personally voted TOS39, JIM83, and SC22.

I think X-Men 1 is the #5 book personally - not as huge in the silver age, but the X-Men shaped the Marvel universe during the Bronze and copper ages - much more so than Thor, or Iron Man (who were also not huge in the silver age).

I agree with your top 3 (it should be an easy combination of AF15, FF1 and SC4).

I think X-Men 1 is the #5 book personally - not as huge in the silver age, but the X-Men shaped the Marvel universe during the Bronze and copper ages - much more so than Thor, or Iron Man (who were also not huge in the silver age).

I voted B&B #28, X-Men #1 and TOS #39. Though looking back in kind of agree with you about how much the X-Men shaped the Bronze and Copper Ages. I'm just not sure it's the same X-Men. Oh and my top three will be FF #1, SC #4 and AF #15 as well.

EDIT: Oh and just as X-Men shaped the Bronze and Copper Ages for Marvel so did Green Lantern shape the Bronze age for DC.

And then there were 9...

7 TOS 39

8 XMEN 1

9 SC 22

I just liked/like Thor so much! Also with Tales of Asgard a 2 for 1 book! :headbang:

And then there were 9...

7 TOS 39

8 XMEN 1

9 SC 22

I just liked/like Thor so much! Also with Tales of Asgard a 2 for 1 book! :headbang:

IF we were voting for what we liked the most X-Men #1 would be the #1 book and FF48 would be a top 5 book for me :) But I understand how hard it is to vote out a book you love (it was tough voting out SC22 even though I knew it had to go).

Pretty easy for me this round:

JIM #83

TOS #39

FF #1

The FF was no longer relevant when I started reading comics as a kid and nothing has happened since the mid-80s to change that. I have actually never owned a copy of FF #1 as a result of this, and will likely not ever either. lol

JIM #83

TOS #39

FF #1

The FF was no longer relevant when I started reading comics as a kid and nothing has happened since the mid-80s to change that. I have actually never owned a copy of FF #1 as a result of this, and will likely not ever either. lol

From a historical-significance standpoint, you could make a strong argument for Fantastic Four #1 being No. 1 of the Silver Age, possibly No. 2 all-time behind Action Comics #1.

JIM #83

TOS #39

FF #1

From a historical-significance standpoint, you could make a strong argument for Fantastic Four #1 being No. 1 of the Silver Age, possibly No. 2 all-time behind Action Comics #1.

Using that rationale, you could also argue that SC #4 is the most important SA book instead, which neither book (SC #4 or FF #1) is. AF #15 is the top SA book.

FWIW, I view FF #1 as the SA version of Marvel Comics #1 - in both cases the comics introduce less significant characters but are the starts of the SA and GA for Timely/Atlas/Marvel respectively. Captain America Comics #1 and AF #15 introduce far more important characters.

I administered the coup de grace to:

BB28

SC22

TOS39

BB28 and SC22 are easy. I can see why TOS39 and JIM83 are neck-and-neck, but JIM83 is more significant than TOS39. Earlier book, tougher book, classic Lee-Kirby book, Thor was never a "part-time" character in a shared title (i.e., TOS58 thru TOS99), and Thor a more inter-connected character throughout the MU. The post-2009 Iron Man renaissance is all well and good, but shouldn't be enough to leap-frog TOS39 over JIM83. Also, Thor would beat up Iron Man in a straight-up Mano a Mano.