• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to deal with damage to book/case by USPS?

16 posts in this topic

Usps returned a package to me, the box was in terrible shape, I feared the worst, and yup... Case cracked on the corners...

Not a huuuuuge. Deal.. But then I saw corner of the cover ripped and detached...

I packaged well (book>bubbleWrap>small box>bubblewrap>priority box),

So I don't see how this could happen besides it being thrown really hard a lot, and stomped on the corners.

I'm mad most of all that the book has suffered such damage. Presentation went way down...

I insured the book close to it's value $900 so I'm hoping I'll get at least that back...

I have never had to deal with this before so please advise me on the right steps before I contact the post office.

1. Will I get my insured amount back?

2. If so how ling will it take?

3. What type of evidence do I need to provide regarding worth and damage done.

4. I assume they take the book?

Thanks.

Such a shame...

27697425316_ac9232844f_c.jpg

27120796593_80ab0fb376_c.jpg

27656753931_bd4e482a3c_c.jpg

This is how much of a 'Priority' your business is for them.

I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope they make you whole again. Sometimes USPS workers can be absolute goons.

this damage most likely happened during conveyor automation. The conveyor dropped your box into the waiting bin and another heavy parcel was then dropped on top of it.

Since you got insurance, bring the damaged box and all your receipts and file a claim.

I am not sure how long to complete and be reimbursed.

Here in Canada every claim I have made has taken over a month to resolve.

Hey, I had the same thing happen, and mine looked even worse. I took it to the local PO I deal with and used the USPS website for the forms.

I also took the box AND all of the packing materials, and the ebay receipt showing the purchase amount.

I made sure the person helping me was the post master (manager) and not just a clerk.

I also took the shipping receipt that comes with the label showing insured amount, cost etc.

I received the refund in about 4 weeks.

One thing they don't usually show or tell you is that they have to fill out another form. This form has questions for the PO person on how the item was packaged. Its critical they write packaged well, that's where all packing materials help.

I am lucky that I have a great local PO shop who provide great service. Had the same thing happen when I lived in NY and they made it a huge ordeal.

Good luck!

I gather it was not double boxed. You should double box slabbed books. With single USPS boxes, you take more risk.

Third line of first post:

I packaged well (book>bubbleWrap>small box>bubblewrap>priority box)

Double boxed.

While this book was packed well enough to submit a claim with the USPS, it was not packed well enough to ensure the highest probability that it will arrive safe.

As stated upthread the MFRB is too short. Will it work a high percentage of the time? Yes. Is that good enough? Not for me.

1095+1092 works the best. It is also wise to use Styrofoam along the edges inside the inner box to avoid crushing.

Lastly, $900 is near the point where using registered mail is the way to go. You get a better insurance rate for registered, it's much safer as the boxes are taken out of the regular flow of things, and if they lose your package someone usually gets fired. Whatever extra money it costs is worth it for piece of mind. The cutoff for me is around $300.