• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple impressions and grade

107 posts in this topic

]I submitted it and I cracked it because I wasn't happy with grade.[/b] (Only 9.8 moderns for me) The notes mentioned light color lift on the back. This is a tiny amount of color loss that occurs on the back of most new Marvel's due to the cheap paper. I have several 9.8 with the same amount of "scuffing". It's at the bottom corner and at one staple/spine area.

Try using the prescreen service and write down 9.8+ to be a happier camper.

I have submitted several moderns with the staple impression you have shown. This is a production problem from the wide curled staples as you have shown. Depending on the comic, this may be in all the issues. There is natural pressing from production line and shipping comics (stacking, etc) and you see the production flaw. I was concerned that CGC that would downgrade to 9.6 and my books still received a 9.8. My books were not pressed. I think CGC understands this and does not downgrade.

Its great to see the forum community looking at things with a critical eye towards pre-existing damage first, well done. That way if there are validated issues they can provide valuable info to both CGC and the community. Just curious if this was a one book submission or a batch submission?

I know for one that your validation means oh so much

Ebay seller sounds like a pro...

If a pro is someone who has submitted over 7,000 funnybooks for grading and owned over 9,500 slabbed books in last ten plus years (about 15 percent modern, 5 percent GA, 30 percent BA, and the remaining 50 percent good old sweet SA) then Im a pro. If not then I guess my validation doesnt mean oh so much. But it probably means more than many of the posters who have started off with, " I havent submitted to cgc in the last few years" ," I dont own but two cgc books but" "i have'nt seen the new case but" then proceed to elaborate with an opinion based on no experience at all.

I once did enough mushrooms to think Street Fighter characters were real and interacting with me. Without your eBay ID and some sort of proof, you are nothing more than a morning after headache and a kaleidoscope nightmare

]I submitted it and I cracked it because I wasn't happy with grade.[/b] (Only 9.8 moderns for me) The notes mentioned light color lift on the back. This is a tiny amount of color loss that occurs on the back of most new Marvel's due to the cheap paper. I have several 9.8 with the same amount of "scuffing". It's at the bottom corner and at one staple/spine area.

Try using the prescreen service and write down 9.8+ to be a happier camper.

I never submit enough to be able to use prescreen. I usually send in less than 10 at a time so that doesn't meet the minimum. I've had all 9.8's in all my submissions so far so this one surprised me since they took off for something they haven't before.

I mostly crack open, then scan all my CGC books as I receive them. Purchased on HA. Almost every comic of this style has staple impressions. Pretty much guaranteed due to the design so no concern there.. However I was shocked when I lifted off the cover from the front page. There is a clear slice/cut on the cover that runs the length of the staple - possibly the lower staple too but I don't remember for sure. You can see right thru! This is not really visible from this close-up. but I can promise you it's there. It was the first thing I noticed, so can't believe the grader didn't so its allowable in a 9.6? Not like it was perfect in every other way. Still had some spine/corner dents. Oh well ... I also won Avengers annual #7 in the same auction - same style of book. It was a 9.4 and in my opinion looks much better!

Marvel%20Two-in-One%201974%20Annual%202_copy2_zpswawkdhwc.jpg

Its great to see the forum community looking at things with a critical eye towards pre-existing damage first, well done. That way if there are validated issues they can provide valuable info to both CGC and the community. Just curious if this was a one book submission or a batch submission?

I know for one that your validation means oh so much

Ebay seller sounds like a pro...

If a pro is someone who has submitted over 7,000 funnybooks for grading and owned over 9,500 slabbed books in last ten plus years (about 15 percent modern, 5 percent GA, 30 percent BA, and the remaining 50 percent good old sweet SA) then Im a pro. If not then I guess my validation doesnt mean oh so much. But it probably means more than many of the posters who have started off with, " I havent submitted to cgc in the last few years" ," I dont own but two cgc books but" "i have'nt seen the new case but" then proceed to elaborate with an opinion based on no experience at all.

I once did enough mushrooms to think Street Fighter characters were real and interacting with me. Without your eBay ID and some sort of proof, you are nothing more than a morning after headache and a kaleidoscope nightmare

Dude, please tell me that also involved you attempting to hurl fireballs and pull off massive hurricane kicks in real time...

Anyway -- I'll demonstrate for the ebay seller how simple it is to identify your eBay self. I buy and sell under username 792mn, my feedback score is currently 1394ish, and I have one fixed price currently running.

Now why doesn't a "pro" such as yourself try to put some skepticism to bed and possibly drum up some business at the same time?