• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staple impressions and grade

107 posts in this topic

It can also happen or worsen if the packing for submission is packed tight.

Something tells me you're here for the stir....from the other place...where people not named are from.

Coin Land? :o I thought Jon Snow was supposed to prevent that?

IMPORTANT UPDATE:. I'm glad someone suggested to check a raw book of the same issue; I never thought of that. I looked at the regular cover to #3 and it does have slight staple impressions at the bottom. They are not nearly as deep but they are there. It seems like this could be somewhat normal for this issue....

That example can be considered null and void, as far as providing a baseline comparison.

The staples in the example pic are bent , if you look closer it is obvious that the light impressions have been left behind as a direct result of the bent staples.

The staples in the pic of the cracked out book are not bent.

Now, looking at the two sets of pics...not that a second set was really needed, if you know what a bad press job can do to the staple areas of thin moderns....it is plain to see that the pressure of the case caused the staple impressions.

And Hector, as far as the issue of the spine splitting....

If spine splits were to occur, that would happen after the staple impressions/staple tears (as we saw both in the pics).

This is because the stapled area of the book is the thickest area of the book so the stapled area would act as a buffer for the spine integrity.

The stapled area would absorb the brunt of the pressure, the residual pressure would be transferred onto the spine....and the rest transferred towards the center of the case.

The proof is in the pudding i.e. the mylar sheet.

The staple impression left on the mylar sheet is more pronounced than the impression left by the spine.

Speaking from experience where a new employee packed a batch way too tight with no cardboard separators and many came back lower than expected due to staple issues. Cracked a couple out and they all looked like that.

You have employees? Do you have a brick-and-mortar store?

neither book was pressed :shrug:

I wasn't saying either book was pressed.

I meant that excessive pressure (via a bad press job) exerts a very comparable degree of force that is seen on the staple area of the cracked out book.

I have pressed books, and had those sorts of impressions left by perfectly aligned (not bent) staples.

....as in, I had to struggle to shut the lid of my jumbo seal.

I'll add that the small tears are a result of the book shifting slightly in the case, after the fact.

Its great to see the forum community looking at things with a critical eye towards pre-existing damage first, well done. That way if there are validated issues they can provide valuable info to both CGC and the community. Just curious if this was a one book submission or a batch submission?

I know for one that your validation means oh so much

Its great to see the forum community looking at things with a critical eye towards pre-existing damage first, well done. That way if there are validated issues they can provide valuable info to both CGC and the community. Just curious if this was a one book submission or a batch submission?

Ebay seller sounds like a pro...

It can also happen or worsen if the packing for submission is packed tight.

I thought you said you were in no way affiliated with CGC.

How would you know if people's submissions were being affected due to there packing?

Guessing it was an extrapolation on the laws of physics.

If you pack books too tightly, this could happen.I don't work for CGC and I can say that due to foolish packing methods, books can be damaged all too easily.

I'm curious. Will the increased pressure worsen the condition over time? Or is the damage already done prior to encapsulation and it won't get worse being in the new holder?

Based on what we have seen ,Ditch's journals and his breakdown of the creep engine, the answer is yes.

As a "CGC apologist", who has an "agenda", this is hard to admit.....groan.

If a pro is someone who has submitted over 7,000 funnybooks for grading and owned over 9,500 slabbed books in last ten plus years (about 15 percent modern, 5 percent GA, 30 percent BA, and the remaining 50 percent good old sweet SA) then Im a pro. If not then I guess my validation doesnt mean oh so much. But it probably means more than many of the posters who have started off with, " I havent submitted to cgc in the last few years" ," I dont own but two cgc books but" "i have'nt seen the new case but" then proceed to elaborate with an opinion based on no experience at all.

If a pro is someone who has submitted over 7,000 funnybooks for grading and owned over 9,500 slabbed books in last ten plus years (about 15 percent modern, 5 percent GA, 30 percent BA, and the remaining 50 percent good old sweet SA) then Im a pro. If not then I guess my validation doesnt mean oh so much. But it probably means more than many of the posters who have started off with, " I havent submitted to cgc in the last few years" ," I dont own but two cgc books but" "i have'nt seen the new case but" then proceed to elaborate with an opinion based on no experience at all.

What's your eBay ID? :)

What's your eBay ID?

If you want my credentials, I own more than 2500 CGC books. I've personally slabbed far more than that since I started submitting in December 2000. You can find me in the registry with the same ID I have here on the boards.

I have a unicorn.

neither book was pressed :shrug:

Pressed by the slab dork :makepoint:

I'm not Canadian :makepoint:

:lol: awesome!

I have a Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2 where the staple sliced the paper on the top cover. So there is essentially about a 3/8" cut on the cover and it was still as graded a 9.6