• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions On Restoration

86 posts in this topic

>>People spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a comic realize the inherent value and scarcity of an untouched gem.<<

If that is truly the case then why do you get so ticked off at people paying high amounts for what YOU see as rip-offs?

And to be honest, CI (if I may call you CI), why does it have to be hundreds of thousands of dollars? Isn't a rip a rip?

If all is revealed then let the buyer determine. What I am saying is that there are as many differences amoung restoration as there are differences in what constitutes a VG. And those differences should be revealed for what they are. (VG and "resto" (dumb term) included)

Err - what do you mean by "resto or some missing part of the comic."

Okay, I'll spell it out for you:

A comic is printed and anything that is added, subtracted, enhanced, changed, modified, replaced or basically any man-made change that causes the book to deviate from its original printed form is viewed in the EXACT same way by yours truly.

That includes restoration (in all its forms), cut-out coupons, clipped MVS's, etc.

"4) I never said that a book with non-invasive restoration should go for the same price as a book with NO restoration. What I DID say is that such books should be perceived differently."

....they are perceived differently, cgc states on their labels whether the resto is slight, moderate, or major and if it is pro or amateur..................disclosure is made ................

........the main point of our argument though is it doesn't really matter whether the book has been retored a little or a lot.......................it has been tampered with..............and that puts most collectors off............... mad.gif

I can appreciate your attempts to educate us and I hear you. If I cared about the restored books enough, I would make that distinction. Fact is they don't sell as well and since I read moderns and are into the stories, I don't buy older books for the read, strictly money factors in....or doesn't in the case of any restoration.

1) Grades are based on damage and overall eye appeal and page color/texture, centering...etc...

2) Yes, erasing is different by degree, but it got that pencil mark there through regular wear and tear and handling through the years. For you to erase it should affect the value the same if you applied a tear seal, IN MY OPINION. This is not fact, just MY OPINION...

3) there are different degrees of restoration, but to facilitate buying and selling I believe we should treat them all as resto or no resto. Sorry. Dem's the breaks, for me. There is no sense to me in wasting time to assign different values to touched up books when they are just that, touched up books. Actually these should sell at no more than 10% of guide...if they were to sell at all. these should be kept at home in the basement out of sight when company is over...

GLOM GLOM GLOM grin.gif

>>it doesn't really matter whether the book has been retored a little or a lot.......................it has been tampered with..............and that puts most collectors off...............<<

So you are saying a book with a spine roll caused from a child who rolled the book up and put it in their back pocket time after time is not tampered with? That which causes restoration (regardless of the intensity) is that which has tampered with the book's original condition. This is a good part of what freaks me out. Non-deliberate degradations to a book are accepted but carefully applied degradations to a book are blanket-damned? Makes no sense.

I am NOT saying (for the multiple-time) that non-invasive restoration should go for the dame as unrestored. I AM saying - and I truly wish someone, anyone, would tell me why, that a book with very minor restoration such as a spine roll removal or a cleaning where nothing is removed from or added to the book should be perceived as the same as a book that has been trimmed, inpainted, reglossed and reinforced. Is that too much to ask? confused.gif

and I truly wish someone, anyone, would tell me why, that a book with very minor restoration such as a spine roll removal or a cleaning where nothing is removed from or added to the book should be perceived as the same as a book that has been trimmed, inpainted, reglossed and reinforced. Is that too much to ask?

Because the intent is to improve the appearance of the book. No one should do that and then try to sell it. If you want to improve the appearance and keep the book forever then have at it. Selling that book is at least a little deceptive.

Phil

Yo povertyrow, if you like restored books so much, then go out and buy them. There are lots of deals right now so get cracking.

I hate resto, all the collectors I know hate resto and I have yet to meet an EBay buyer who loves a bit of resto in the CGC comics. Some may *accept* it at bargain basement prices and with minimal Pro work done, but I don't see it catching a wave and jumping in value anytime soon.

If you do, and you trust your instincts, then you should make a tidy profit once the mass market wakes up to the pleasures of owning Frankenstein resto books.

>>.......its obvious you feel very strongly on this subject povertyrow, but so do others, there's nothing wrong will a healthy debate, don't let the oposing views rile you............<<

Actually, I swear I have not had so much pleasure from comics since I moved from the rich Boston environment with literally over a dozen shops consistently stocking GA and Atom Age books to the wastellands of San Francisco with one shop so far selling a small selection of same. This forum? Well, folks here seem tough skinned (to say the LEAST - lol). but - and this is a sincere thought - if I am seeming to be a real jerk (I edited my original word) because I have opinions which differ - I will reluctantly leave this forum and probably try to find wrok back in the East Coast so at least I can find people to dfebate with!

"So you are saying a book with a spine roll caused from a child who rolled the book up and put it in their back pocket time after time is not tampered with?"

...of course it hasn't been tampered with, it has been USED, and thus shows signs of WEAR................collectors like books that have been well looked after and don't show signs of wear.......finding them is hard and thats part of the fun of the hobby................

.......it is not fun to buy a beat up copy and get someone to restore it for you................

........surely the distinction is clear enough....................

>>Some may *accept* it at bargain basement prices and with minimal Pro work done, but I don't see it catching a wave and jumping in value anytime soon.<<

Errr - are we collecting for love or brokering for value? Tell me now! I may be in the wrong place!

I agree that different levels of restoration should bring different prices. If a book has been pressed or has a dab of color touch, it should certainly be worth more than a book with pieces added and the cover reglossed.

>>.......it is not fun to buy a beat up copy and get someone to restore it for you................

........surely the distinction is clear enough.................... restore it for you................ <<

Dagnabbit (yes, I really am having a good time here) - but Beat Up is very different from a spine roll removal, AS LONG AS THAT REMOVAL IS REVEALED. But I consistently adhere that a spine roll removal is not the same as inpainting, leaf forming or tear sealing. And it shiuld be revealed in a different category.

PS - if anyone can elaborate on the terse instrucitons for UBBCode - all I want to do is italicize quotes instead of putting them in the >><< brackets. I reall AM a network administrator for a 5000+ user environment with about 200 servers, but that is a far cry from these nifty text mods.

"I agree that different levels of restoration should bring different prices. If a book has been pressed or has a dab of color touch, it should certainly be worth more than a book with pieces added and the cover reglossed. "

..........worth more to who? the market value is determined by the collectors buying the books, and the fact of the matter is that most don't like restoration...............so will not buy restored books ............tiny bit of colour touch or full fit-out.makes no difference...................

>> I agree that different levels of restoration should bring different prices. If a book has been pressed or has a dab of color touch, it should certainly be worth more than a book with pieces added and the cover reglossed. <<

Huh? WHat? Am I am in the same? lol.

Seriously, yes, that is all I am trying to say. Actually, not even different prices - just different categroies.

Of course it makes a difference. Take 3 copies of a book. One is an unrestored VF, one is a restored VF with a small amount of color touch, and one is a restored VF with pieces added and cover re-glossed. If sold on Ebay or at a convention, which of the 3 will receive the lowest price (in your opinion)? Actually, you don't need to answer, because according to you, both of the restored books will sell for the same amount. ???