• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF #55, Most Undervalued FF/Surfer X-Over? Coolest Cover?

22 posts in this topic

I recently bought this copy, and I personally consider this book the ultimate Silver Surfer key, with a more classic cover than FF #48 or FF #49. This book is right in there with FF #50, but the battle element I believe makes this the ultimate FF/Surfer Silver mega-key. Any thoughts? Thanks cool.gif

ff55a.jpg

Nice book gorgo...however JMO....I never really liked this cover...I think the perspective is out of whack and the scene is too "close-up" and should have at least been drawn from a greater distance...

It's like in the movies when the camera is so close you can see up the actor's nostrils.... crazy.gif

Pan back, man!!! pan back.... smirk.gif

I do agree that this is a key book, though, since it is another Thing battle cover...

I t is one of the all-time great covers but seems like there are quite a few high grade copies around - I think I have had about 5 cgcd copies all in 9.2/9.4. I think I have seen many more high grade copies of this book than 112. Was interested to see how that 9.6 did last night. Thought reserve should have been under $1500. Couldn't be worth more - otherwice ComicLink would have bought it!

I think it is better than any of the three FF #48-50 covers. FF#72 is the only one that comes close, but it's not a battle cover. The other awesome crossover/battle cover is Astonish #93 - great perspective and incredible looking.

The other awesome crossover/battle cover is Astonish #93 - great perspective and incredible looking

Agreed! I have been recently hunting down a copy of this book.

FF#55 is a great book. And a great cover, as well. But the best cover featuring the SS on it, is still FF#57!!! The Surfer is very small on the cover, but how can you go wrong with a cover that features Doom on it???? Just my humble (biased) opinion. smile.gif

Chris

You're right! The SS #4 is indeed probably the next best (or even better SS battle cover!). Bought a nice, well centered copy of this one as well, a classic trademark I always look for in my silvers.

ss4.jpg

I wish I had a NM copy of FF #72 (have a few VF's, but nothing I'd call NM), you're right, that's probably the most "sci-fi" of all Surfer covers & one of the coolest stories. The Doom cover is cool as well though.

I wish I had a NM copy of FF #72

I used to. How many times have we heard/said that. IMO, 2nd best Surfer story ever. Surfer shrinks himself to molecular size to hide from Galactus in "The Worlds Within Worlds" and "Stranded in Sub-Atomica!" (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Going on recollection) .

Chris

That is probably the best centered Surfer #4 I've ever seen. Very nice!

FF 55 is definetly a classic, but I would place it second behind #49, and 72 would be third.

Surfer shrinks himself to molecular size to hide from Galactus in "The Worlds Within Worlds" and "Stranded in Sub-Atomica!" (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Going on recollection) .

You're absolutely right! After that, I'm gonna pull those copies, as I recall they're some of the best! Could probably write a cool screenplay/movie on that run! Awesome!

You gotta go thru #77, Gorgo (else you'll miss the Sub-Atomic Issues). I've read most of those books in the Surfer run. #'s 57-60 contain my favorite story of all time: "Enter: Doctor Doom", "The Dismal Dregs of Defeat", "Doomsday", and "The Power and the Peril"!!!! Awesome! smile.gif

Chris

Personally, I prefer the FF #72 as the best surfer cover ever. The SS#4 has the surfer attacking in what appears to be a fit of rage, when I always considered him more of a philosophical type, even in combat. I think the FF#72 cover shows him much more in character.

FF#55 does indeed look too busy and close up, very weak on composition.

Oddly, I don't think Starlin surfers had a single decent cover, other than the Warlock return, and that did not even feature the Surfer. Which I find disturbing, as Starlin was famous for showcase covers, like CM#29, Strange Tales#178, and Warlock#9. I am really suprised he did not create a single showcase cover for the Surfer. (in case you did not guess, I collect those showcase cover issues).

-Rival61