• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: AF15 and a couple of questions

6 posts in this topic

So here's a great book. It was stored improperly and when I was putting it back the top left corner finally gave in and ripped off. Obviously you can see I still have the piece and how does that affect the grade if it were to be sent in to CGC? Will they put it in, or discard it? Should a piece of tape be affixed on the inside?

And of course, what do you grade this at?

The top staple is popped from the cover and there's about a 2" spine split from the bottom if I remember right. I need to take it back out and look again. The back cover has a piece on the top left that is held on by tape.

AF15F_zps9gpg0jnm.jpg

AF15B_zpshkffywzz.jpg

What kind of tape was used on the back piece?

If it's not "archival" tape then you may want to have it removed (if it won't come off easy then "professionally" removed).

CGC won't encase a separate piece, so you will want to have that front piece taped on with "archival tape". Might s well have the spine split sealed with archival tape too.

It will then get the "conserved" label.

Looks like a 3.5-4.0 "conserved" to me.

nice book.

What kind of tape was used on the back piece?

If it's not "archival" tape then you may want to have it removed (if it won't come off easy then "professionally" removed).

CGC won't encase a separate piece, so you will want to have that front piece taped on with "archival tape". Might s well have the spine split sealed with archival tape too.

It will then get the "conserved" label.

Looks like a 3.5-4.0 "conserved" to me.

nice book.

I'll take some photos of the inside tonight. It looks like regular scotch tape and it looks recent so it should be able to removed without any problems.

I know that tape isn't considered restoration so it will still get a universal label. So if I tape the piece on the front and replace the back piece would it still receive a universal label?