• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I screwed here? Resolved

25 posts in this topic

June 7th I sold something on eBay.

June 8th, I bought and printed a Priority label through them and requested a USPS pickup..

June 9th I get a confirmation email from USPS stating the package was picked up with a confirmation number.

Yesterday, the buyer emails me saying he never received the package. I look at the tracking and there is none. Package was never scanned in. I have a paid label for a five pound priority box, and a confirmation email showing they picked up a 5 lb package but that's it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I called the local PO and they were useless. Called the 800 customer service number and got a sympathetic ear and a case opened.

Start a case via the 800 number USPS customer service number. If they can't find the package and show where it was delivered then you will loose any dispute started on either eBay and/or Paypal. In both it has to have a delivery scan for you to prove that they got it.

Oh, in the USPS system only the sender can file a claim for an insured item. You have to have the receipt to file the claim.

Even if was never scanned into the system? It's a $45 game.
if you got a confirmation email saying it was picked up you should be covered. I don't know that for a fact, just seems you should be
I believe that is the point where it is scanned in - the postie picks it up and scans it onsite / on pick up.

As long as you have a receipt and insured the package youre golden.

happened to me a couple of times where USPS lost a package of mine. I called, they told me to file a claim, 3 days later I got a check

But he doesn't have a receipt for the specific package

I had 3-4 "We have successfully completed your Package Pickup." email confirmations from USPS over a couple week period when the packages were never picked up. The confirmation number in the email is not a tracking number ( I think it is the same as the confirmation you get when placing the package pickup request). I doubt USPS would have paid claims on those packages.

As long as you have a receipt and insured the package youre golden.

happened to me a couple of times where USPS lost a package of mine. I called, they told me to file a claim, 3 days later I got a check

Yep, USPS is tops in my book. They never lose anything, and always back it up if they do. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Many years ago I sent out a $750 slab that was scanned through "notice left" to a PO Box. Never got any response from the buyer after repeated contacts (maybe he died). I don't know. I had asked that the book be returned to seller (me) if undeliverable. They couldn't account for the book, and paid the full insured amount, all within 30 days. (still wish I had the book btw . . . )

The folks at my local PO are top notch, and when I had a situation that was remarkable similar to this one they walked me through it.

Only difference was that I'd dropped off 4-5 packages one day and all but one showed up with tracking in the system. One did not. And a week later it hadn't been delivered. I admit that I don't wait around for receipts but they always take care of my stuff so I'd never worried before.

Anyway, the explanation ?

They said that on occasion a preprinted label can get screwed up slightly ... An ink smear from your printer for example... Or any small imperfection which makes it unreadable to the scanning system. So it then doesn't get tracked. It also doesn't proceed through the faster automated mailing channels but ends up getting hand sorted based on the address. They said this can, in some cases depending on location, take up to a full extra week. They told me this and the next day, 12 days after shipping first class item just two states away ... The package showed up.

So... It could just be as simple as that. Fingers crossed it shows up by, say, Monday.