• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape still blue label?

4 posts in this topic

So I've seen the notes on the label where it states Tape on inside cover.

Does archival tape still provide the same universal label with the notation? Just trying to avoid the conservation label.

Thanks!

Every example I've come across that just has tape on it has been in a blue label holder. I think it's because the tape doesn't actually restore the book, or conserve it for that matter. Plus tape is usually much easier to spot than replaced staples, color touch, etc., so even an untrained eye could pick up on it in most cases. Occasionally you will see early GA books with "minor amount of color touch" or "small amount of dried glue" on them somewhere with a blue label. As discussed in another recent thread, Golden Age books are given some leeway when being graded and minor restoration doesn't always result in a purple label.

To answer the OP's question - archival tape will get a pass but only if there is no other restoration.

I also seem to recall Paul Litchfield commenting when this issue came up just before the rule change on tape that archival tape is almost never the only thing done to a book . So you might want to have a careful look for other work.